eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

Prednisone and cataracts: I was started on prednisone (50mg)

Prednisone and cataracts:
I was started on prednisone (50mg) about 2 weeks ago for temporal arthritis and polymyalgic rheumatica. Shifts in my vision over the last couple of days led to a referral to an optometrist who identified the beginning of cataract formation on the back of the eyes which he attributed to the high dose of prednisone. My reading on this is that cataracts are permanent. He, however, said that they can reverse. I'm going to be on prednisone for several months, although we are going to reduce the dose over time. My questions are: in what percentage of cases do the eyes return to normal? Is cataract surgery successful for this type of case? If I react to prednisone this way, is is probable that the cataracts will continue to grow or do they tend to stabilize?
eyesight2020 :

Hello

eyesight2020 :

In reading your information you provided from my experience I have not seen posterior subcapsular cataract formation secondary to steroid treatment reverse.

eyesight2020 :

I have had patients that were on prednisone experience fluctuations in their vision also secondary to fluctuations in their sugar levels.

eyesight2020 :

Being that it is only two weeks I do not beleive that you could be that quick of a steroid responder to have a very advanced posterior cataracr develop.

eyesight2020 :

However,that having been said I would have a re-evaluation with an opthalmologist as wel

Customer:

Not advanced. I believe his exact statement was that there were posterior cataracts starting to form.

eyesight2020 :

Some patients are quick steroid responders, so in your case being monitered on a regular basis by an opthalmologist may be indicated.

Customer:

But...yes...an ophthalmologist is a good idea. I will ask for a referral.

Customer:

I read online of some suggestion that Vit E can help. Your opinion?

eyesight2020 :

Yes so being monitered on a regular basis would be indicated in your case.

eyesight2020 :

As far as cataract surgery in the future if needed ,it is usually successful.

Customer:

Prednisone was pure magic in alleviating the PMR. Guess that magic has a price tag attached. I really appreciate your help with this.

eyesight2020 :

Some studies indicate it may slow the progression.But it is questionable

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions

eyesight2020 :

Thank you for your rating