Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and had Lentis M Plus

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and had Lentis M Plus IOLs implanted in both eyes. My near vision is good, and when measured on a chart my distance vision is also good. However, in reality my distance vision is very poor as as I am seeing very distinct ghost images or halos around objects both in the daytime and at night.
I understand the process of neuroadaptation, but there has been no change in my vision since immediately after the surgery and I am worried that I do not seem to be adapting. My specific questions are:-
(1) How common are the daytime halo symptoms that I am experiencing?
(2) Should I be seeing a gradual improvement due to neuroadaptation?
(3) Is there any possible cause of these symptoms I should ask my surgeon about?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

While the symptoms you are experiencing are a known effect from the design of the IOL you had implanted the incidence of this complication is fairly low, on the order of 1% or less. In those patients that do have your symptoms the majority of them are better within 6 months due to neuroadaptation.

Dr. Rick :

As such, you have a very good chance of being symptom free in the future.

Dr. Rick :

You can ask your surgeon if the lens is centered well in your pupil but, since you have good near and distance vision, I bet it is. As I said, your issues are a known risk of using this type of lens. :(

Dr. Rick :

If you get to the point that you, in spite of having good near and distance visual acuity, just can't stand the ghost images anymore the Lentis M Plus IOLs can be removed and standard, monofocal lenses put in their place.

Dr. Rick :

So what is the take home message here? I'd consul patience at this point.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : While the symptoms you are experiencing are a known effect from the design of the IOL you had implanted the incidence of this complication is fairly low, on the order of 1% or less. In those patients that do have your symptoms the majority of them are better within 6 months due to neuroadaptation.
Dr. Rick : As such, you have a very good chance of being symptom free in the future.
Dr. Rick : You can ask your surgeon if the lens is centered well in your pupil but, since you have good near and distance vision, I bet it is. As I said, your issues are a known risk of using this type of lens. :(
Dr. Rick : If you get to the point that you, in spite of having good near and distance visual acuity, just can't stand the ghost images anymore the Lentis M Plus IOLs can be removed and standard, monofocal lenses put in their place.
Dr. Rick : So what is the take home message here? I'd consul patience at this point.
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.