Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My son had a cornea injury 2 months ago, his eye continues

to be red after 2...
my son had a cornea injury 2 months ago, his eye continues to be red after 2 different eye drops, what to do? is not like before the injury, a worried mom
2/18/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What was the nature of his cornea injury?

Dr. Rick :

Did he require surgery?

Dr. Rick :

How is his vision now?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : What was the nature of his cornea injury?
Dr. Rick : Did he require surgery?
Dr. Rick : How is his vision now?
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

no surgery, just follow up by eye md

Ok Thank you for that extra information.
What happened to his eye?
What did the doctor say about it?
Is his eye less red then it was before?
Is he in any pain?
(sorry about all the questions :(

no pain, a little bit less reddened, md will follow up but we are not very happy with the progress

I'm sorry that he is not getting better as quickly as he could.
Can you give me some information on what happened to his eye/cornea?
Was his eye cut by glass, poked with a stick, scratched with a finger, bit by a dog etc?
What has the ophthalmologist called the injury (laceration, scratch, chemical burn etc) and what has he told you to expect as to the healing and final vision?
The more information you give me the better I will be able to discuss what should be done.
I look forward to your reply.

laceration, probably caused by glass

WOW! You have given me a bad rating...and all I have been able to do so far is try to get enough information about your son's eye injury so that I could give you an informed reply.
That is not very nice at all. :(
I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.

ok, thank you

If you can change your rating to a positive one I will be happy to continue to assist you. Otherwise I will opt out and another expert can pick up where we left off.
Let me know what you want to do.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

would like to know if there is anything else that we could do, im worried about my son
he has poor vision on the other eye, thank you so much

Thank you.
Well, a corneal laceration can have many levels of severity. Since your son did not have to have surgery or stitches his eyeball must not have been cut all the way open. That is very good.
The bad news is, depending on the location of the cut his vision may be permanently decreased. Also, if he is less then 7 years old there is a risk of other complications, such as amblyopia.
Also, secondary infection and immune reactions can cause serious vision threatening -- and even globe threatening -- complications.
That being said, it is not unusual for an eyeball to still be red 8 weeks after a serious injury like this.
If you are concerned about the care he is getting with this doctor I suggest you obtain a second opinion from a corneal specialist.
Does this make sense to you?
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask me. As parent of 5 children myself I know what you are going though.

Thank You very much, i really appreciate your answer

Edith,
The pleasure is all mine.
I wish your son the very best.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD