Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just got over the flu. My left eye is a little sore and

I just got over the flu. My left eye is a little sore and irritated and vsion in that eye has been blurry the past 3 days. Could this be related to the flu?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye red or watering?

Dr. Rick :

When you say that your vision is blurry is it so bad that you can't read or see in the distance with that eye? Does the blurriness come and go if you blink?

Dr. Rick :

Good Afternoon. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

a little red...blurriness is constant....i notice it the most in brigh light when driving...signs are fuzzy

Dr. Rick :

Well, there are a number of reasons, that tie into your recent bout of the flu, that could be the cause of your eye issues.

Dr. Rick :

The most common one is pink eye. This is a viral infection of the front of your eyeball.

Customer:

does that make eye blurry?

Customer:

my eyeball is a little painful if i push in on it

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it can make it blurry. The eyeball being painful goes along with this condition...

Dr. Rick :

The bad news? There is no treatment for this issue....

Customer:

Can I treat this at home?

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

The good news? It resolves itself over the course of a week or two with no residual problems

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You sure can.

Dr. Rick :

As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in a week or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Dr. Rick :

It might go to your other eye in a day or two.....don't worry if it does.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Thanks for sharing..I was concerned about the vision. Thanks for explaining

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you fell better soon.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.