How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tom Your Own Question
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Tom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On Friday, I noticed a thin semicircular line of very small

This answer was rated:

On Friday, I noticed a thin semicircular line of very small dots in the upper vision field of my right eye. It moves with my eye movements, but not like floaters, as it stops moving when my eye stops. I've also had an increase in floaters in my right eye only, to the point where there is a tiny dot every few millimetres. I went to my eye doctor on Saturday and he didn't find any tears in my retina and couldn't explain my symptoms.
As I am very near-sighted (prescription of 11.5 in both eyes), I am worried there's something wrong that my doctor missed. Should I get a second opinion? What else could cause these symptoms if there are no retinal tears?
Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Good morning..are you available to chat?

Dr. Tom :

Since this is a live chat, you will need to type a reply for us to get started.

Dr. Tom :

It appears that you are standing by, but cannot reply, so I will switch us to the Q and A format. That way we send emails to each other. Don't worry if you see a statement about the chat having is just getting started.

First, I am sorry that you are having these problems. May I ask if you were examined by an ophthalmologist?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was examined by my optometrist.
Thanks for that information. Yes, to your need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist...preferably a retina specialist.
Christine, Let me add that there is a good possibility that what you are dealing with is a posterior vetrious detachment. It could cause the similar symptoms, but a retinal tear must be ruled out ...and a retina specialist is the best choice for the correct evaluation. If there is a small tear he can fix it with laser right in his office.
Christine, could you please reply so that I can know if you are getting these answers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, all of my replies aren't going through for some reason. I asked whether these symptoms sound pressing enough to go to an Eye ER, or if I would be alright to wait until Tuesday? Also, is a posterior vetriousdetachment common for someone my age?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, if I do have a posterior vitreous detachment, what sort of treatment am I looking at? Is there anything I should be doing or not doing in the meantime to not exacerbate the problem?
Sorry, I don't know if my last reply came through....a vitreous detachment doesn't need specific.....but you must get the retina question resolved. A retinal tear does need urgent treatment. A retina specialist may be on call at your ER. Please let me know if you receive this response?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I think I will make a visit to my ER to make sure. Thank you for your time and your help!
That is a good idea...please let me know how things work out.
Dr. Tom and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you

Related Eye Questions