Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a viral infection and along with that came viral

Hi Doctor Dan,
I have a viral infection and along with that came viral conjunctivitis. I have had this for 4 days now. I have seen my doctor and she has prescribed perscription eye drops. They are working somewhat but my question is that I am still having eye pain since I saw the doctor at my first visit and it seems worst Is this normal because I'm very worried. Is this something that could be dangerous? Is it safe to wait and go to the doctors this week as today is sunday and monday is a holiday? Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Oops. I didn't see that you request Dr. Dan. I just checked and he is not online right now but I am sure he will be on later this morning.

Dr. Rick :

Would you like me to opt out so that Dr Dan (who is an excellent ophthalmologist, by the way :-), can help you?

Customer:

I'ts fine I will take your service.

Dr. Rick :

OK......you are a brave soul lol!

Dr. Rick :

What is the name of the eye drop that your doctor gave you? Also, what type of doctor is she

Customer:

polymixin B/TMP 10 ml my primary doctor was out so I saw another primary physician

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, like all primary care MD's they shouldn't be treating eye problems since I don't treat heart attacks :)

Dr. Rick :

Those drops will do nothing to help with your viral conjunctivitis and, as you have learned, mostly just make your eyes more irritated......

Dr. Rick :

The drops, on the plus side, won't hurt you either....

Customer:

well it just happened that I went to the doctors because I was sick and asked her to check my eye because it was bothering me and watering like crazy.

Dr. Rick :

Viral conjunctivitis will run it's course in about 14 days. It is not unusual for the other eye to become involved and for household members to catch it.

Dr. Rick :

That's OK....I was smiling as I typed that.....you know how us men love to complain. ;-)

Customer:

my biggest concern right now is the pain that I keep getting, is this normal?

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is stop the Rx drops and use cold compresses and artificial tears. You can use the tears as much as you like.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases there are no long term issues from viral conjunctivitis and there is no need to get an ophthalmologist involved.

Dr. Rick :

I've had this problem myself (it's a hazard of the profession) so I know what you are going through.

Customer:

this might sound like a dumb question but what is artificial tears

Dr. Rick :

Those are soothing eye drops that are made to sooth your eyes. You can find them almost anywhere...walmart, the grocery store, pharmacy etc. There are many brand names and they all work about the same.

Dr. Rick :

The least expensive ones are just fine.

Dr. Rick :

They are available OTC>

Dr. Rick :

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Customer:

ok thank you , you haven't mentioned anything about the pain so I'm assuming I have nothing to worry about?

Dr. Rick :

I remember the pain and discomfort well :( and, you are correct: In the vast majority of cases there is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Thank you for your services have a nice day.

Dr. Rick :

You too!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS