Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had a problem with my right eye for a couple weeks. Started

I've had a problem with my right eye for a couple weeks. Started out as redness, itching, watering, and crusting on the lower lid. Gradually, redness and itching has subsided, but I'm left with a rather large (quarter inch) lump which seems to be on the inside of the lid, although big enough to notice. I've tried treating with boric acid eyewash. Should that continue? Should I see my optomitrist? Soon, if it keeps getting bigger?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have blepharitis with a stye. This is not something that an optometrist would treat, but rather would require a visit to an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? No need to rush to the eye MD. You can treat this at home by yourself

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Customer:

Yes, I meant my OD. Is this worrisome enough to try to get in soon? Sometimes it takes a week or so to get an appointment.

Dr. Rick :

You don't need to see your regular doctor either. Primary care MDs like to throw antibiotics at this issue....and that is not needed.

Dr. Rick :

I'd just do the above therapy and, if things are not better in 3 or 4 weeks, have an exam by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

OK. Thanks for the reassurance. My OD has given my the shampoo advice also.

Dr. Rick :

By the way, thank you for requesting that I help you this evening.

Dr. Rick :

The OD was correct :-)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS