Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Are there any different side effects with LOL SN60WF when

Are there any different side effects with LOL SN60WF when compared with SA60AT?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

They are both excellent lenses with a long track record of safety and good visual results.

Dr. Rick :

Your question is a very interesting one and was actually the topic of a paper in 2008 that actually compared the two lenses you are asking about head to head. Here is a link to that article:

Dr. Rick :

I direct your attention to the conclusion, which I will highlight here for your reference:

Dr. Rick :

CONCLUSION: Eyes with the aspherical AcrySof IQ SN60WF IOL had reduced HOAs and spherical aberrations compared with eyes with the spherical AcrySof SA60AT IOL; however, there were no statistically significant differences in visual acuity or vision-related quality of life between groups.

Dr. Rick :

What that means, in non-doctor speak, is that the two lenses were found to perform about the same as far as the patients could tell. However the SN60WF has slightly sharper imaging that only really showed up on special testing.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message here? Either lens is an excellent choice and will give you fantastic post op vision. I suggest you go with which ever lens your surgeon feels would be the best fit for your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS