Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have been diagnosed with the skin over both corneas as

I have been diagnosed with the skin over both corneas as loose. I am in considerable pain especially when I have slept and attempt to open my eyes. I am also very light sensitive. the treatment presently is both corneas covered with a medicated contac lens. I would like to know if anyone has heard of this? if so what treatments are out there and what causes it? Also duration??
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, this is called recurrent erosion syndrome
Doctor DanB : For people with this, they often, but not always, have a history of an incidental trauma such as a twig glancing across the front of their eye, or a paper scratch or child's fingernail scratch to the eyeball at some point in the past. This incidental trauma can set off a reaction in the epithelium (superficial most layer of the cornea) that causes that portion of the epithelium to no longer adhere its underlying stromal (substance) tissue of the cornea, predisposing to corneal abrasions, or scratches, that often present like this. The kicker about this is, though, even when the patient makes it into the eye doctor's office within a few hours of the onset of the pain, the scratch is often times completely healed or almost totally healed so that there is very little to no evidence of this.
Doctor DanB : The first line of treatment is to use a hypertonic saline solution either in drop form or appointment form that can help the skin of the cornea it here to the underlying substance of it. This is called Muro 128. If this is being used regularly and is still not enough, then corneal stromal micro puncture with a tiny needle can help anchor the scan of the cornea down. In addition, a corneal laser called PTK can be useful in helping these symptoms to resolve.
Doctor DanB : The duration of this if not treated with the needle, or laser, is indefinite.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!