Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

If you dont need glasses except to read, will you have to

If you dont need glasses except to read, will you have to wear glasses for intermediate and distance vision after cataract surgery with the standard lens that insurance pays for?
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hello

Dr. Tom :

Hi...great question....are you refering to your refractive status after cataract sx with a standard lens?

Dr. Tom :

Your post surgery prescriptive needs are determined by the standard lens power you and your surgeon select for you. If you tell him you want to see clearly at distance without glasses, then you will need glasses for intermediate and near.

Customer:

Yes. Will a standard lens change my vision? I have only needed readers. The crystalens eye is the same as before surgery, except for the negative dysphotopsia. I need readers only for that eye, just as before. My unoperated eye is 20/20 except for reading. I have a cataract in that eye as well. Because of the lousy outcome from the crystalens I refused to have the crystalens placed in my remaining cataract eye. Will my vision change from a standard lens implant?

Customer:

I see. Bummer.

Customer:

Then can I wear contacts?

Dr. Tom :

You asked.."Will my vision change from a standard lens implant?" With the normal outcome with the standard lens you should have excellent vision, and yes it should change for the better as you get rid of the symptoms that the cataract has caused........Yes you may wear contacts after the cataract surgery..no problem with that.

Customer:

Let me get this straight. My eye is 20/20 except for presbyopia. It will NOT be 20/20 and I will have presbyopia?

Dr. Tom :

If you and your surgeon select a standard lens power to give you great vision at the 20/20 distance measurement, then you can expect to use/need readers as you are doing now. Most people are very happy to be able to just use OTC readers for their near function. I want to be sure that we are addressing your question. Does that make sense so far?

Dr. Tom :

I'm just checking back to make sure that we are still in conversation?

Customer:

Yes, it certainly does. I'd rather live with slightly hazy yellow vision and night glare from the cataract then risk negative dysphotopsia. Its driving me nuts. And as you know, its highly possible that I could have same bad outcome from any accomodating IOL in the other eye. So my choice is the standard lens. I will need readers, as before. I don't know what your speciality is but if its the eye, please know that paying $5,000 out of pocket for a premium lens and then having negative dysphotopsia makes for a very unhappy patient.

Dr. Tom :

Yes..I do know....because I've been doing cataracts and implants for pver 25 years. And given your reported symptoms, I agree that getting standard lens is sounding more and more your best bet. Can I help you with anything else about len exchanges?

Customer:

Its quite clear what I have to do and what the likely outcome will be. First I get this crystalens OUT and replaced with the standard lens. Then I get the other eye done with the standard lens, get some snappy new readers and get on with my life.

Dr. Tom :

And I bet you will do Great. Please let me know if I may answer anything else for you.

Customer:

I forgot to ask, I'm just five weeks post op. Its my understanding that there is a narrow time window for removal of this lens before the risk goes up exponentially. Two separate specialists have recommended this and that if I wait to see if the ND dissipates and if it doesnt then I'm locked in for life. Do you agree?

Dr. Tom :

Yes.....the earlier in the post operative period the lens exchange is done the safer it is. You should be just fine at this point..........just don't wait months and months. BTW...I noted your age and just want to say that those " spiffy readers" you mentioned will work just great for you for the next six decades. I am glad that you are getting the cataracts behind you at this early age. Very best wishes!

Customer:

Thanks. Surgery is Wednesday. You'v been a great help. BTW I'm a Landscape Designer who drafts down to 1/16 of an inch. You can imagine how ND is aggravated by the hight light I work in.

Dr. Tom :

Yep.....my wife is also a landscape designer.....BEST to you.