Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Woke up with both eyes dilated, blurred vision

I woke up this morning...
I woke up this morning with both eyes dilated, blurred vision, redness, and discomfort. I have used drops for glaucoma (latanprost .005%) since 11/2012 with no prior problems. I also take lisinopril 5mg once a day and 2.5mg once a day for about 3 years with no prior problems. I ate lobster for supper last night , slept well and woke up with this condition. The right eye feels worse though the dilation is the same in both eyes, almost obscuring the iris.
2/9/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello and thanks for your question.
How blurry is the vision? Extremely bad?
How would you describe the discomfort? Aching, burning, itchy, gritty, sharp, dull?
<br/Customer:
Not as bad as this morning, was able to read my Nook this afternoon with large print and black background.
Aching burning.

Doctor DanB :
The reason why your eyes are dilated is because you used the redness reliever drops. The chemical that relieves the redness also causes pupillary dilation.
<br/Customer:
My husband is doing the typing as this screen with white background is difficult.

The dilation and blurred vision occured on awakening, well before the drops were used to try to relieve the redness and solve the dilation.

Doctor DanB :
Have you been handling any other medicines, patches, or other substances prior to that?
<br/Customer:
I read my Nook with white background lighting before falling asleep as I usually do.

Doctor DanB :
Do you have open angle or narrow/closed angle glaucoma?
<br/Customer:
Nothing was handled before or during sleep, no medicine, patches or anything unusual.

We are not sure which type glaucoma. The generic drops began in Nov. 2012 but I used the Alcon version (Travacan) for about 10 years before.

Doctor DanB :
Are you sick to your stomach? Seeing halos around lights?
<br/Customer:
No nausea, difficult to look at any light but no halos noticed.

Doctor DanB :
How bad is the pain on a scale of 1-10 (if 10 is the worst pain you've ever endured)?
<br/Customer:
5
Right eye 5, left eye 2

Doctor DanB :
Have you had a cold or upper respiratory tract infection or stomach flu recently?
<br/Customer:
Not recently, over a month ago only.

Doctor DanB :
How bad is your vision blurred? Is your vision 50% worse? 25% 90%?
<br/Customer:
I feel relief with cool compress. Vision is 50% worse.

Doctor DanB :
I think it's possible you have an angle closure episode which could threaten your vision. You need to see your ophthalmologist as soon as you can to treat this. I would recommend calling him/her and if you can't see them, I would recommend going to the ER or an urgent care. Does this make sense?
<br/Customer:
We called the opthalmologists answering service. They said we will get a call back.
Thanks for your help.

Doctor DanB :
My pleasure.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.