Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 50 years old and for two days now I have have dizzy

Customer Question
Hi, I am 50 years old...
I am 50 years old and for two days now I have have dizzy spells and bouts of vertigo. I don't have any pain except a right eye twitch that what go away..what is this about? I am a dance teacher and art teacher..so when I was teaching dance I did have this happen too. It even happens when I am sitting down still.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
2/9/2013
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes I am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are worried about the eye twitching, then I can assure you that it is not a serious condition and does not point towards anything serious in the eye.

Customer:

I have been having dizzy spells/vertigo for two days

Customer:

I am fit and a dance teacher however this is very strange

Customer:

I eat well

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is eyelid myokymia and can occur due to misfiring of nerve impulses at the neuro muscle junction of the eyelid muscles.

Customer:

I am never sick my immune system is strong

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As for the spells of dizziness and vertigo, then it is most likely to be due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

Customer:

I do not have any pains

Customer:

What is that?

Customer:

What should I do. I travel to work / total 2 hours a day

Customer:

When I was lying down the other day..the room was spinning

Dr. A.S. Desai :

BPPV can occur due to inner ear problem( labyrinthine problem).

Customer:

How does that happen?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can consult an ear,nose and throat specialist (ENT) for a detailed ear exam.

Customer:

So what about work? I am a dance teacher ...what if this happens again>

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can go through this site for more details regarding BPPV- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

Customer:

I taught it was stress but I don't think so

Customer:

Beside vertigo do we have other signs

Customer:

what about hormonal imbalance..tyroid gland? I am in my menopause

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be nausea,vomiting, blurred vision , feeling like fainting apart from dizziness .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hormonal imbalance can cause different symptoms but not vertigo.

Customer:

ok..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Even hypothyroidism would cause more of tiredness,fatigue but not vertigo.

Customer:

so I should see a doctor asap

Customer:

How long does it take to cure the condition

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would help to consult an ENT specialist for a faster relief from vertigo.

Customer:

Will the specialist be able to cure this..or am I stuck with this lol

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You should begin to feel better soon after the treatment is started ( medicines such as anti-histaminics along with certain maneuvers).

Customer:

ok...but what about driving?

Customer:

I can't see to predict when these happen

Dr. A.S. Desai :

They say that the episodes are triggered by sudden change in head position ( sudden tilt/up/down of the head,even a jerky roll over in bed), stress, fatigue,lack of sleep.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To avoid day to day problems, it is better to consult the specialist earlier.

Customer:

Ok..I will. But how did I get this..? any causes..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is no known cause for it except for natural progressing age ( occurs due to deposit of calcium in the inner ear).

Customer:

So I will go and consult..and keep head motions limited. Any other things I can't do to limit the espisodes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, nothing more to it.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Gisele,

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist