Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The last two times I've left the hair salon after getting my

Hi-The last two times I've...
Hi-The last two times I've left the hair salon after getting my roots touched up (dye my hair) & a blow out (hairdryer on my hair) I will slowly develop blurry vision & a feeling of straining in my eyes. Oh & lights have halos around them? I can see but of course not as clearly as I usually do. Didn't sleep very well & went to the eye Dr. the following morning & she said that nothing physically damaging in my eye but that it's likely inflammation & that I have a bit of dry eye? She gave me rx for antibotic for 5 days-Instill 1 drop three times a day (eye drops) & I purchased opti-fresh 4x a day & when needed (moisturizer) from her. Later that day (after instilling my antibotic & then opti-fresh moisturizer) I took a nap & my vision was back. Three weeks later after leaving the salon earlier today the blurry vision is back? I still have the antibotic & optifresh & it has helped a little but I'm assuming I will need sleep before it gets better? I didn't sleep enough last night & I often don;t get enough sleep. I know sleep is important but I often get insomnia. My questions are (sorry so long): a) is the comboination of hair dye (which I don't even smell when I'm at the salon), the heat from the blow dry (I have a lot of hair so it takes a good hour to blow dry it) & the lack of sleep causing my imflammation & dry eye? Am I now susceptible to dry eye? Does it sound like I have an allergy all of a sudden (My hair grows quick...I have to get a touch up every 3 weeks-I'm beginning to have few greys)? Am I going to need put on restasis-I'm 34 years old?? Have you ever heard of this before?? This is dry eye or whatever it is...is really annoying me now!?
PS-hairstylist also uses a lotion/creme to avoid staining my forehead with color-could theis be seeping into my eyes without my knowing/feeling it that is causing blurry vision & dry eye?
Again, sorry so long...Thanks
2/9/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hi.. yes I am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the blurred vision and halos is due to a mild corneal edema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This could occur from microabrasions on the cornea wih entry of fluid into he stroma of he cornea.

Customer:

& what exactly is that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Everytime you use the lubri

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lubricating eye drops you begin to feel better symptomatically.

Customer:

the lubrication of the eye drops is making vision blurry?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Corneal edema is swelling of the corneal layers due to fluid entry. Lubricating eye drops are making you feel better.

Customer:

Which fluid is causing the swelling?

Customer:

The lubricating eye drops aren't helping much as of now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If this problem keeps recurring every time you go to the salon, it is better to use hypersol-5 (sodium chloride) eye drops, 1 drp 4 times a day for 1 week. The fluid which enters the cornea is from the tearfilm.

Customer:

Ohhh ok sorry...

Customer:

shall I use the sodium chloride drops before to reduce or right after?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blow drying could be causing microabrasions of he cornea. These are temporary and heal very well with lubricating eyedrops and sodium chloride eye drops.

Customer:

In your opinion is it the lack of sleep contribute to the problem

Customer:

whats so weird is that-I never had this problem before and I have been going to the salon every week for years

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sodium chloride eyedrops should be used after the procedure.

Customer:

oh ok...

Customer:

does it sound like I have chronic dry eye as well?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Having a good sleep would help the cornea to heal well. You can ensure that you get adequate sleep.

Customer:

ok I will try...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, dry eyes would definitely be adding to your problem.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else h

Customer:

ok one last thing please

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

so it's not the chemicals or the color block creme seeping in my eyes but the blow dryer then?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , it looks like that.

Customer:

in your opinion

Customer:

got it-thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

have a good night...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Good night and take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do give a positive rating.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist