Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Sometimes when i bend over quickly to pick up something I

see spots/floaters before my eyes..what...
Sometimes when i bend over quickly to pick up something I see spots/floaters before my eyes..what causes these?
2/8/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

are you there?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I'm here. Have you ever experienced / seen floaters at other times?

Customer:

yes i did have a retina tear 8 years ago

Doctor DanB :

Was this in the same eye that you're seeing the floaters in now?

Customer:

i do not remember

Customer:

someone said it could be related to low bp

Doctor DanB :

Have you been seeing floaters with a similar appearance in this eye at other times, not just when you bend over quickly? Like when you look at a bright sky, a computer screen, a TV, a white wall, or white paper? In other words do you regularly have floaters in this eye that look similar, but just not to the same intensity as when you bend over suddenly?

Customer:

i do have floaters all the time after my retina tear repair but every once in a while if i pick up something quickly i see these tiny flecks but they go away quickly and they do not stay..they are not the same as the other floaters i have in my eye on a regular basis

Customer:

what are my chances of having another retina tear after i have been lasered

Doctor DanB :

I see. I still think these are floaters, just not the usual ones you're used to seeing. Many people have floaters that they see on a routine basis, but usually when they are in high-contrast light conditions, such as looking at a bright sky, a computer screen, a TV, a white wall, or white paper. But in addition, there can be smaller, less discrete-appearing clumps of the vitreous jelly that really only become noticeable when there is a wholesale "shaking-up" of the vitreous jelly, such as when you bend over quickly. I liken this phenomenon to shaking up a snow-globe. The important thing to note is if you're getting that cloud of floaters other times when you're not doing a quick bend-over, or if you start to see flashing/arcing lights, see a curtain, veil, shade, or shadow come over the vision in any direction, these are signs of a retinal detachment and you should seek help immediately. Because you've had a retinal tear, your chances of having another one are higher than someone who hasn't had one, but still are pretty low. It's difficult to give you a percentage, but while they're low, they are still significant enough that you should pay pretty close attention to these possible signs. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes..also i have the starting of a cataract will it be dangerous for me to have cataract removal..i am a -9.00 and -7.00.. any link to intelligence and high minus

Doctor DanB :

There's no direct link to intelligence and high myopia, but there is some credability to thinking so as many people who are avid readers are somewhat high myopes (but not all high myopes are avid readers). It's not necessarily dangerous, no. It's just something that needs to be watched out for at the time of cataract surgery (the fact that you're susceptible to retinal tears having had one in the past and being somewhat high myopic).

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

no thanks so much!!

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.