Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My eyes have been swollen & soar for the past 36 hours. I

My eyes have been swollen & soar for the past 36 hours. I believe its from some type of food or my new wooden glass's (i've been told by my allergist that I'm allergic to some trees). I've taken zytec 2x w/ in the last 12 hours, but no changes to my eyese. Anything else I can do?
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

hi

Customer:

do you need more detail?

Dr. Tom :

Hi....I'm sorry about your problem, and I will try to help you. Give me a minute to type out your answer. Thanks

Customer:

Just to clarify not my eyes but the areas around my eye balls.

Customer:

eye lids & under eye

Dr. Tom :

Yes, your lids and the tissues under. From your posting it clearly sounds that you are having an allergic reaction. Zytec is a good choice, but does not seem to be helping you. A couple of effective OTC products that are usually all that is needed to get the reaction under controll are Zaditor Allergy eye drops used every 2-3 hours on the first day, then four times a day. They will provide some anti-allergy relief to the lids. And since Zytec is not effective, you might consider OTC benadryl...........in my experience, if the reaction is quite severe , as yours may be, we use prescription cortizone ointmentsto the lids and the application of soaking solutions such as Domoboro OTC soaking solution. Does this make sense so far?

Customer:

I understand. To be clear the first thing i took was levocetirizine, but no luck.

Customer:

The second pill zyrtec I took about an 30 min ago

Customer:

are they the same thing or should i try the drops you stated? Do I need a script?

Dr. Tom :

levocetirizine and Zyrtec are virtually the same. Yes the Zaditor can be used at the same time and you do not need a Rx....it's OTC...............but a further suggestion is that if you don't make good steady progress in clearing this reaction around your eyes, see a good general ophthalmologist. We deal with this all of the time......anything else that I may answer for you?

Customer:

Does it make a difference which one i choose to take between the drops & otc benadryl?

Customer:

i'd rather take something that is less maintanence, hence the otc benadryl

Dr. Tom :

Yes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that. The Zaditor is th OTC antihistamine eyedrops. Consider getting that first. Before I would start the benadryl by mouth , I would give the Zyrtec a little more time. Is that more clear?

Customer:

yes sir. How much more time do think before I go to plan b: zadiator?

Dr. Tom :

Consider giving your present treatment until in the morning to go to " Plan B"......but if you begin to develope more swelling, changes in your vision, fever or just are not trending in the right direction please consider getting professionally checked out.

Dr. Tom :

Please let me know if you have any other questions?

Customer:

thats it. Thanks,