Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My left eye was exposed to spray from the high pressure

Customer Question

My left eye was exposed to spray from the high pressure treatment of AK (sun spots) using LIQUID NITROGEN. Many spots were treated, mainly the scalp, top and front, but also at the area of both ears. Also, my back at the left side toward the shoulder was sprayed although no suns pots were located there. No protection was given to the eyes during the treatment which occured mid Sept, 2012. I had cataract surgery, (Rt.eye Nov13, 2012,) (Lt.eye Dec04, 2012.) Constant itch and blisters is still evident in areas treated. Eye Dr. had problem explaining many spots on my Left eye, and has treated me for mainly dry eye. On Tues., I spoke of frostbite and he had no opinion. Primary doctor says it would not affect the eyes. I feel Cataract ops. were very successful.
I do need another opinion. Can you help? Please be discrete. Miserable!!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I do not believe that the treatment of the AK with liquid nitrogen caused any damage to your eyes at all.

Dr. Rick :

If, indeed, the liquid nitrogen got into your eye the only damage it would cause would be damage secondary to freezing. If this were to have happened you would have known it at the time as it would have affected your vision and hurt.

Dr. Rick :

Remember, 70% of the air you breath is nitrogen...as such the nitrogen gas is not dangerous in and of itself.

Dr. Rick :

I doubt that your eyes were frostbitten without you being aware of it.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : From what you have posted I do not believe that the treatment of the AK with liquid nitrogen caused any damage to your eyes at all.
Dr. Rick : If, indeed, the liquid nitrogen got into your eye the only damage it would cause would be damage secondary to freezing. If this were to have happened you would have known it at the time as it would have affected your vision and hurt.
Dr. Rick : Remember, 70% of the air you breath is nitrogen...as such the nitrogen gas is not dangerous in and of itself.
Dr. Rick : I doubt that your eyes were frostbitten without you being aware of it.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
If no answer is received by me, please delete any charges which may be levied for the doctors submission.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
If you would like to provide me with more details on what information you are seeing in a second opinion I will be happy to try and accommodate you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Well, just giving me a "bad rating" was not what I had in mind when I requested more information from you. That was not very nice.
I do not know how you expect me to assist you if you will not communicate with me.
I will opt out and maybe some other expert will try to help you.