Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The scar tissue in my eye is bleeding. Had injury to eye at

the scar tissue in my...
the scar tissue in my eye is bleeding. Had injury to eye at age 7 and cataract removed at age 15. Now at age 66 scar tissue is bleeding. Is there anything to prevent this? It happens from a year to every other month. will bleed for two or three weeks and stop.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2013
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

Can you actually see the blood when you look in the mirrow, or is it internal bleeding at the retina level??

Customer:

Its internal like floaters except is blood.

Dr. Tom :

OK..thanks for that extra information. If your objective is to stop the bleeding, and the bleeding blood vessels can be viewed by your doctor, it's possible that laser or cauderey can control the bleeding. Have you been seen by a sub-specialist in retina?

Customer:

I don't know what kind of specialist he was.

Dr. Tom :

You need to be under the care of a retina specialist. They have extra training to handle your type of condition. Would you like me to try to find someone like that for you in your area?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

ok...give me the large town near you and I will look up a specialist for you.

Customer:

Willmar or St.cloud Minnesota

Dr. Tom :

Give me a couple of minutes to get this.

What is the next largest city?
Nancy...I have to check out for about a hour, but I will definitely help you when I know the best city for the specialist you need. And I will be available to answer your other question when I get back on duty. Please be patient.
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD

Nancy,

This group in Minneapolis looks very good. Best wishes...

http://www.retinaphysicians.com/our-physicians.php

What would happen if I did nothing about the bleeding? What would be the long term effects if any

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the follow-up question. Your risks of a significant complication would seem to be small. Vitreous hemorrhages( bleeding from your retinal scar into the jell of your eye), as your are having, based on what you have posted, are usually self-limiting and can resolve over time. Retina surgeons will operate to remove visually significant hemorrages, but since your vision has been limited in that eye since you were a child, there would not be an indication for surgery under these conditions. Your best bet is to have an established relationship with a Vitrio-retinal specialist, in case something else comes up in the future. Does that make sense?

Yes it does. Thank you very much

You are very welcome. Best wishes.
Nancy, please don't forget to rate our encounter. Thanks

they said if I rated you again I would get charged again. I thought I could still some questions answered free.

Hi Nancy........I think the idea is sort of one question per encounter...but what is your new question. I will be happy to assist you.

I don't have another question.

Sorry, I mis-understood your posting. No problem. Best wishes.
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD