Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The lens protects the retina? If you replace it will the

replacement lens protect the retina...
The lens protects the retina? If you replace it will the replacement lens protect the retina? How are the muscles in the eye affected? I had cataract surgery. The lens that replace my natural lens, is it protecting my eye? Without the cataract surgery I would need a seeing eye dog. is my retina taking a beating? My other eye needs cataract surgery. What kind of lens should be inserted in my eye? I do not think that nearsightedness and farsightedness should be corrected with this new lens. Am I correct? I understand that the halo effect has to do with the pupil adjusting, and my right? My eyes are not that bad. I don't use glasses. I have not gotten a report about the condition of my eyes from the doctor but I think they're all right. The eye with the cataract is quite cloudy. There's no panic or is there? I'm writing this without glasses. What kind of replacement lens should I get? And will the replacement lens damage my retina? The replacement lens in my right eye is a cheap one. Will the $2000 one be better?
2/5/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

While the lens does not, per se, protect the retina, it is in front of it and serves to focus incoming light on the retina so you can see.

Dr. Rick :

The replacement lens is designed to filter out UV light and, as such, helps to protect the retina. Cataract surgery does not involve messing with the retina at all and you do not need to worry about your retina when you have your cataract surgery in the vast majority of casess.

Dr. Rick :

Wow! These are a lot of questions......let me go through them in order from this point on:

Dr. Rick :

The lens used to replace your cataract is up to you. The is the "usual" monofocal lens and the newer multifocal lens. They are both good. Which one you use is a personal choice. Talk to your surgeon about your options.

Dr. Rick :

The monofocal lens should not cause a halo effect.

Dr. Rick :

There is no panic. It does not hurt to wait to have your cataract removed. It is not an emergency.

Dr. Rick :

The replacement lens will not damage your retina.

Dr. Rick :

The cheap lens is just different then the expensive one. I, personally, would get the cheap one if I was having surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : While the lens does not, per se, protect the retina, it is in front of it and serves to focus incoming light on the retina so you can see.
Dr. Rick : The replacement lens is designed to filter out UV light and, as such, helps to protect the retina. Cataract surgery does not involve messing with the retina at all and you do not need to worry about your retina when you have your cataract surgery in the vast majority of cases.
Dr. Rick : Wow! These are a lot of questions......let me go through them in order from this point on:
Dr. Rick : The lens used to replace your cataract is up to you. The is the "usual" monofocal lens and the newer multifocal lens. They are both good. Which one you use is a personal choice. Talk to your surgeon about your options.
Dr. Rick : The monofocal lens should not cause a halo effect.
Dr. Rick : There is no panic. It does not hurt to wait to have your cataract removed. It is not an emergency.
Dr. Rick : The replacement lens will not damage your retina.
Dr. Rick : The cheap lens is just different then the expensive one. I, personally, would get the cheap one if I was having surgery.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

The more expensive one operates with concentric circles and is implanted in the same way as the cheap one.? Do the concentric circles encourage the eye muscles to atrophy? Because of the cataract my doctor cannot see the retina and is making a judgment that it is in a state of deterioration. He does not believe that each eye should have a different lens. I am reading otherwise. The longer view is what I'm interested in. My right eye is in good shape I doubt that the left eye is any different. Will eye muscles deteriorate with either implant? You like the simpler why?

No. The concentric circles do not do anything to the eye muscles at all.
As a retina surgeon, there are tests that your cataract surgeon can to give a rough estimate of retinal function if necessary. That being said, the cataract is going to have to come out if it is that bad anyway, so you might as well proceed.
I agree: Use the same style lens in each eye.
The eye muscles will not deteriorate with either lens....this is a non issue.
I like the simpler lens because it gives the crispest vision possible and has been in use for decades with excellent results. Also, I wouldn't mind having to wear a thin set of glasses for best vision at near and distance.
I'm glad you have given this a lot of thought and research. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

I am trying to select between multifocal lenses and mono focal lenses. I am not sure however from my research it appears that multifocal lenses operate with concentric circles, is that true? Also multifocal lenses cause eye muscles to atrophy, is that true? Each lens has its positive and negative features, what are they. My eyes are not that bad and with the Mono focal lenses will the eye muscles improve?

You have rated me with bad service twice.
If you give me a good rating now I will assist you.
I look forward to your response.
Walter,
I am a retina surgeon and fully qualified to give you all the information you require on this topic. I am sure, however, you can understand my desire to not have a poor rating from you again....
Let me know what you would like to do.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Walter,
Thank you for changing your prior negative feedback to "good".
Please allow me to address your new questions in order:
The multifocal lenses use different power areas in the circular lens to focus images from various distances away from your eye onto your retina. So, in that sense, yes, they are in concentric circles although that is a bit of an oversimplification of the technology.
Neither the multifocal or the monofocal intraocular lenses have any effect on the eye muscles at all. I am not sure where you got this idea, but get it out of your head.
Ask your doctor about the laundry list of pluses and minuses of the different style of lenses she offers for implantation....
Once again, get it out of your head that the intraocular lens has anything to do whatsoever with your eye muscles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

In addition to your advice I looked on the Internet. Your advice helped me search the Internet. It appears to me that if my eyes were bad and I was old that the multifocal would be better. Well I am old more or less at 71 but I am in good health and the Mono focal lens in my right eye works well. The muscles in my eye allow both near and far vision. Of course everyone time I talked to anyone who were given glasses as a child always state they did not know how bad their eyes were. It seems to me that with the multifocal these muscles would atrophy. I read something about it on the Internet however you can't believe everything you read in the newspapers or Internet. I hope I'm making the right decision

The multifocal lens is a good choice.
You have done a lot a research and as such should know exactly what you are getting into.
Of course, if you hate the lens after it is implanted inside your eye it can always be removed and exchanged for a monofocal lens.....
Once again I find myself compelled to remind you that the intraocular lens has nothing to do with your eye muscles....they don't atrophy with one type lens or another nor do they need to be "strong" for you to see.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Good luck in your upcoming surgery :-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD