Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Today in the morning i woke up with my left eye twitching

Customer Question

hi doctor so today in the morning i woke up with my left eye twitching really rapid.. its under my eye.. i dhad 2 hours of sleep but then i came back home and rested for like 4 hours... when i was working out it wouldnt do it...its pretty constant... what is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : What you are experiencing sounds like what is called myokymia.  This is usually associated, at its onset, as an increased rate of blinking.  Many different things can cause this blinking such as irritations to the eye such as wind, smog, dust, and sunlight, but even some noises and moving the eyes and/or head can bring it on.  They tend to turn into more of a spasm over time that the person usually doesn’t have much control over.It can commonly be associated with eye problems including eye pain, tearing, irritation and sensitivity to light.  Many people find sleep relieves their spasming to some extent, but also using artificial tears can help sometimes as well as pulling on the eyelids.A specific cause for myokymia has not been demonstrated for every case; it is thought to be a neurologic disorder that has a multifactorial etiology.  For most people, this resolves spontaneously in several days, but  it's not unheard of for some cases to last 4-6 weeks. If it persists longer than 4 weeks, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor for this. 
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this? 
Customer:

so this will go away on its own?

Doctor DanB : Yes, it should.
Customer:

is it a serious condition?

Doctor DanB : Almost never. It is nearly always a benign or insignificant issue.
Customer:

ok thank you

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

when you say "blinking" you mean pulsating?

Customer:

because its pulsating my eyes arent blinking

Doctor DanB : Yes.
Doctor DanB : Both ways are described by patients with this condition. But yes, it is the pulsating I'm referring to.
Doctor DanB : Any other questions I can help you with about this?
Doctor DanB : Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.