Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My granddaught is 2 1/2 years old when i take her picture

her lefy eye is yellow...
my granddaught is 2 1/2 years old when i take her picture her lefy eye is yellow where you would expect redeye we have just taken her to the optionan and she could not find anything to worry about except they found she is lonsighted _ 6 they are refering her to an opthalmologist at the hospital to check a possible sqint but I am still very worried aboutthe photos and the yellow eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Being -6 myope can change the pupil reflex when a child's picture is taken.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, the most worrisome cause of a white/abnormal reflex in pictures of children are the presence of a serious eye condition such as retinoblastoma, cataract etc.

Customer:

hi is +6 sorry

Dr. Rick :

If the optician dilated your Grand-daughters he should have been able to rule out any large abnormalities such as that.

Customer:

he did

Dr. Rick :

If the optician did not give your grand daughter drops (atropine) prior to doing streak retinoscopy I would not put too much value on that result.

Dr. Rick :

Taking her to a pediatric ophthalmologist is the way to go.

Dr. Rick :

But, in any event, the optician, although they are not trained eye doctors, should have been able to rule out any large and obvious abnormalities such as a cataract or very large tumor.

Customer:

he did the drops in her eyes

Customer:

what about coats

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist who treats many coats patients I can tell you, first of all, this is a rare condition. Secondly, I'd not jump to any conclusions at this point. 99% of patients I see for abnormal picture reflexes have no serious eye problems outside or squint, refractive errors or the optic nerve lining up with the camera.

Dr. Rick :

And extreme coats would not be missed on a dilated exam, even by a novice optician.

Dr. Rick :

But you do need to take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete exam.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD