Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been experiencing some dizziness, especially when

lying down to go to...
I have been experiencing some dizziness, especially when lying down to go to sleep the room spins for a few seconds and then it stops. I have felt light headed as well on a few occasions out and about..one time while shopping and looking at something on a shelf that was just a few inches above eye level (so my neck was slightly extended) and another time after going out to dinner and walking out in the parking lot. It is almost like a flash of "Wow for a second there I thought I could pass out". seriously for just a second or two and then I am fine.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

YES

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks like you are probably experiencing episodes of vertigo. Vertigo could be subjective( the person feels like he or she is spinning around) or objective ( feels like things are spinning around him or her).

Customer:

That is the sensation that I am having when I lay down to go to bed for sure

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are various causes of vertigo such as inner ear problem or cerebellar problem or even variant of migraine.

Customer:

what is cerebeller

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) is one of the most common causes of vertigo.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cerebellum is lower part of the brain which plays a very important role in balance.

Customer:

I have also been fatigued and have had a wheepy eye for some time now, could these things be related

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to consult an ENT(ear,nose and throat ) specialist initially to look for any inner ear problem or BPPV.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the ENT opinion comes out as normal then it would be better to consult a physician next ( any cerebellar problem or possibility of migraine).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The weepy eye may not be related to this.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how long has the eye been watering? Is it only in one eye or both eyes?

Customer:

Can we talk about that symptom?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it constantly watering or only occasionally?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Talk about which symptom? Weepy eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If so, sure we can.

Customer:

Yes, I will seek out a ENT for the other, I do think that it is vertigo

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

For quite some time, maybe a year or longer I have had an eye that would get weepy during the day.

Customer:

I thought it was an allergy to something airborne and bought some allergy drops to stop the watering

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it in both eyes?

Customer:

no, only one eye

Customer:

it is irritated most of the time, itchy

Customer:

and I do get some low amounts of discharge as well

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have sinusitis or blocked nose on that side ?

Customer:

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Which eye drop have you tried so far?

Customer:

hang on, let me get it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

first I use visine advanced to add some moisture, then shoot it is the rite aide version.

Customer:

I will get my reading glasses to tell you the ingredient

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

ketotifen .025%

Customer:

I think...it is tiny

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Visine eye drops is basically a decongesant and is not recommended for eye allergy.

Customer:

ketotifen furmarate

Customer:

so does it sound like an eye allergy

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However ketotifen eye drops are given for eye allergy and do help for mild allergy.

Customer:

Is it common to only have it in one eye

Customer:

When I use the drops I do typically treat both

Customer:

eyes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If ketotifen is not effective in reducing the symptoms then it is better to switch to olopatadine eye drops ( such as Pataday eye drops which are prescription eye drops).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Allergy is usually seen in both eyes and not in one eye alone. However the severity might be different in both eyes ( one could show more signs than the other).

Customer:

is the allergy to an airborne agent or could it be something else

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Two years is a long time for the eye to be having watering and I guess it makes sense to get that eye examined in detail by an ophthalmologist so that any other cause for watering is not missed out such as blocked lacrimal duct.

Customer:

I have had eye exams annually, and did bring it up with no real outcome

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

It does seem to get worse during the spring so I do think it is an allergy, maybe to something inside?

Customer:

in my home?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case you could try a few home remedies for a possible associated blepharitis ( since you mentioned itching too).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.

•Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Customer:

I will give it a try.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right about an airborne allergy as the cause of allergic conjunctivits. Since it is seasonal too.

Customer:

Is the ointment something that I can get over the counter

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it is not available over the counter.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can try the above measures and some lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day .

Customer:

okay, thank you....can my ophthalmologist prescribe it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Customer:

He can also perscribe the other eyedrops as well?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The ointment can be prescribed by your ophthalmologist. Refresh tears is availbale over the counter.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

available

Customer:

Refresh Tears is the name brand then

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes it is brand name of lubricating eye drops.

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Have a good day!

Customer:

and you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist