Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have floaters and they are getting worse and more bothersome.

I have floaters and they are getting worse and more bothersome. Would you recommend a victrectomy to exchange the gel with a material without floaters?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you unable to see well enough to function due to the floaters?

Customer:

I can function in a high ambient light environment, but when it's dark, I can still see but with difficulty.

Dr. Rick :

Ok

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Here is a video of the actual surgery to remove floaters:

http://www.retinavitreous.com/video%20files/intro_floaters.html

Dr. Rick :

As you can see, I would not recommend this surgery, even though I did a vitrectomy a week ago just for this indication....but this was in an airline pilot who constantly was bothered by the floaters looking like small aircraft coming at her from the corner of her vision....and the FFA paperwork was (and continues to be) a nightmare.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

My floaters tend to concentrate in the center of my vision. Wish they would sink as you say. I will view the video of the victrectomy. We have a group that are experts in this field, but I've heard that the operation has a low success rate and can actually cause problems with the retina.

Dr. Rick :

It has a very high success rate in my hands. The floaters are gone after the surgery. But you are correct, there are many risks

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.