Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I 'm eplileptic since age 16 now age 57. Last year had 5 to

I 'm eplileptic...
I 'm eplileptic since age 16 now age 57. Last year had 5 to 6 seizures in one day. On Monday I had 4 in one day have no recolection of hospitalisation and came too next day. Doctor booked me off for 2 days back at work and extremely tired and listless, dark rings around eyes and pupils dilated.
1/26/2013
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, Dr Tom I am available now!

Dr. Tom :

Great, let's see what I may do to help you......Your question was referred to ophthalmology because of your comment regarding dark circles around your eyes and dilated pupils. I’ll be delighted to try to help you. Please tell me what your question is, so I can direct my answer specifically to it.

Customer:

You are very kind and I really do appreciate it Dr Tom. The way I look (eyes) is not the worse I am not in charge of how I feel and react! As I am on Tegretol and Zoloft I was wondering if I must be re evaluated medically or just continue? The eyes are not dilated because of medication or mental breakdown?

Dr. Tom :

Did you receive my reply?

Dr. Tom :

Your general list of symptoms including listlessness, being tired, the dark circles etc certainly are explainable on the basis of the post ictal state. And it’s possible you just haven’t snapped back as fast as you usually do. The dilated pupils need to be checked out just a little bit, because we would expect your pupillary responses to return to normal. Could you have someone shine a flashlight into your eyes while you are in a fairly dark environment to determine if your pupils react to direct light stimulation? You could actually do this same test while looking into a mirror.

Customer:

Will be back with reply!

Dr. Tom :

You make a very good point. There’s certainly no harm in getting a thorough reevaluation and I think it is the prudent thing for you to do. Although I am happy to try to discuss this further with you if you have any other questions?

Dr. Tom :

BTW, a " mental breakdown" would not lead to abnormal pupil reactions, however, it is a normal pupillary reaction in indiduals in a high state of anxiety....like being startled by one of your great SF lions......:).

Dr. Tom :

Sorry, I meant SA ( South African) lions.

Customer:

Well here I am and Dr Tom my eyes stay dilated and when the light was taken away I saw cobwebs! Sorry want you to know everything. My doctor has prescribed Rivitol and I am not drinking it now as I want my body to get used to the Tegretol (400mg in the morning and 600mg in the evening) Zoloft 2 in in the morning and 1 at night. Anxiety is being caused by work.

Dr. Tom :

I'm sorry that you are having to go through so much right now, and these new symtoms don't help.......but given all that you have posted, please consider going in for a full work up of this. Can I do anything else?

Customer:

By the way I am not SO slow that I did not get the gist of SF lions! Some of the people in my life are worse than lions... So at the tender age of 57 I have to learn new ways to deal with my life. Is it not strange that it is so difficult to be happy!! Wish I could chat once a week to you! Thanks for all you given me, it is greatly appreciated. Goodnight from sunny SA keep warm on your side my granddaughter says it is really cold she is studying in town outside of New York.

Dr. Tom :

Yes it is cold, and we would so much love to visit your beautiful country. You can indeed send a direct question to me in the future. Just specify that you want your question directed to me and I will try my best to counsel you...anytime. All the best.

Customer:

Well you will have a place to stay when you come! We sure do live in a beautiful country and we are so proud of it.Thank you very much for invite to ask you again, will take you up on it as I think it will be some time.

Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD