Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had my hair professionally colored yesterday morning and

did not get anything in...
I had my hair professionally colored yesterday morning and did not get anything in my eyes. My eyes did burn a little as I was sitting under the dryer, but when I got home, my vision was blurry periodically because there was a film (white stuff in the corner of my eye) that I pulled out. My eyes were watery and a little burning. I flushed just once or so and thought it would be fine. Today, my eyes were watering a little and continued mild burning sensation. No blurred vision today, and no 'white stuff' in my eyes. I rinsed much more today with cool water but am nervous about if my eyes will be alright? Can chemicals cause that much irritation? What should I do, if anything?
1/20/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction to the fumes or chemicals that were used. This is not uncommon.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? Everything will be OK in 24 to 48 hours or so.

Customer:

So should I do anything but rinse with water?

Dr. Rick :

At this point I would use cold compresses as well as artificial tears 4x/day and as frequently as needed to keep your eye feeling better and your vision clear.

Customer:

Is it something that should be checked out by a Dr.?

Dr. Rick :

Don't use tap water as nasty stuff lives in it....use store-bought artificial tears. There are many brand names and the cheapest one will work just fine.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not feel that you need to see an ophthalmologist at this point. I really think you will be OK.

Customer:

Is 'sensitive eyes' for contact lens wearers something that would be acceptable to put in my eyes?

Customer:

they're rewetting drops....

Dr. Rick :

If, however, on Tuesday, you are still not back to normal, or if you are worried, then have an eye MD check you out. Yes those rewetting drops will work. You might want to stay out out of your contacts tomorrow also if you have glasses available.

Customer:

OK, thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

the only thing I wondered is that not having a chemical actually get into my eye, blurry vision and watering burning eyes seemed like an extreme reaction. Though people often get irritated by chemicals, are all these symptoms typical? That is the reason I was so concerned.

Everyone is different on how they react to the chemicals in professional hair color. It also can depend on how the professional mixed the various chemicals together.
While I will agree that your reaction is on the more severe side of what most people experience I have treated patients like you many, many times over the last 20 years.
As I said, you will not suffer any permanent damage and things will be fine with the simple home therapy we discussed.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD