Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I need to go for a cataract eye surgery 10 months after my

retina surgery due to folding...
I need to go for a cataract eye surgery 10 months after my retina surgery due to folding on my retina. My other eye is in the beginning of developing the same problem but not yet need surgery.
I am Myopia (different degree on both eyes) and Hyperopia, I am now 57. I am using progressive lens for both visions. I do not use contact lens.
Also I have high Astigmatism, degrees are different on both eyes.
My questions re my cataract surgery (one eye):
1. What is the difference of using Foldable Lens and a Toric lens (much more expensive)?
2. What is the best option to have the lens adjusted for my operated eye?
3. What will be the impact for my eye sight as I am a photography enthusiasm?
Many thanks.
Mira
1/18/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon

Dr. Rick :

Most all cataract surgery nowadays uses a foldable lens. This allows for a small incision when placing the lens in your eye. This is what I would suggest you use.

Dr. Rick :

A toric lens also corrects for astigmatism. If you do not have a lot of astigmatism you could just have the regular intraocular lens placed in your eye and use glasses/contacts as needed post op. To use or not to use a toric lens is a personal decision as both lenses work well.

Dr. Rick :

There should be no need to adjust the lens inside your eye once it is placed other then any glasses etc you use to sharpen thing up more.

Dr. Rick :

Taking out the cataract (which everyone gets after a vitrectomy gas/fluid exchange) will make your vision a lot better and will do nothing but improve your photography hobby.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

The nurse told me that my astigmatism is Left: 2.12 and Right 1.81.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, that is a moderate amount of astigmatism. You could either go for the toric lens or just use glasses after the cataract surgery. Of course, even with the toric lens, you still might need glasses post-op for the clearest possible vision.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad to hear that your retina repair went well :)

Customer:

The doctor told me he can adjust my lens so that I do not need glasses for seeing far. but need glasses for reading. or to adjust it to match with my other eye, i.e. to need glasses to see far and close. I wonder will I have headache with two different eye visions.

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. He can "shoot for" a post op vision to do any of those things: Distance, near or even match your other eye. If the eyes are matched in power, and your headaches were indeed from the previous mismatch then, yes, I would expect your headaches to be less.

Dr. Rick :

lots of if's though......

Dr. Rick :

I have to run and see a patient. We can continue during my lunch in an hour or so unless I've answered your questions already. Let me know.....

Customer:

I would need more information. Do I need to pay again after your lunch? How much you are charging me for this time?

Dr. Rick :

No. You would not need to pay more and you are not charged until you give me positive feedback. You have only left a deposit. Type more questions here and I will read them and get back to you. When I return I will set up the system to send you an email letting you know that I've returned......My nurse is giving me a nasty look....gotta go :-)

Customer:

Ok I will prepare my questions and talk again. tks.

Customer:

Hi, Dr. Rick,

Customer:

I need to clarify that I did not have any headache yet but my concern is if I have two eyes with very different visions, will that give me a headache? What I mean is if my operated eye with the lens that adjusted so that I do not need glasses to see far but my normal eye needs glasses to see far and close. Will that give me a headache for the balance in vision. I will need glasses anyway.

Customer:

My main question is:

Customer:

If I should get the lens (foldable or toric on operated eye) adjusted to see far without glasses or to be adjusted to match with the same myopia degree so that both eyes are the same?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm back

Dr. Rick :

No. You should not get headaches from that as the difference would not be that great. Many patients tolerate this just fine.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I think you would be fine to have your operated eye set to see far without glasses.

Dr. Rick :

These are all very good questions and there is no right or wrong answers. One thing to keep in mind....if you don't like the power of the artificial lens that was placed in your eye, it can be removed and a different power put in its place. While this is not a surgery that ophthalmologists want to do, it can be done....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Dr. Rick,

Will I have dry eye once with the inserted artificial lens in my operated eye please?

I am still here and available if you have any further questions...and I still have over an hour left for lunch :-)
No. Dry eye is really not a problem after modern cataract surgery as the incision is made into the clear part of your eyeball (the cornea) and does not involved the conjunctiva....

Many thanks for your help. I will rate it and thanks again

My pleasure. Best of luck :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD