Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Doctor, my son is 54 years old. He had symptoms of the flu

Doctor, my son is 54 years old. He had symptoms of the flu on Sunday, such as watery eyes, coughing, also some tightness in arouind his chest area which subsided. He then developed aches in his body around his lower stomach, in his joints, and is preesently suffering with pain in his lower back and some in his lower stomach, mostly on his right side. I thought it coauld be hjis appendix, but there is no vomiting, nor, fever. His father and his brother, howevwer, have had their apendix removed. He has not obtained medical advice until now, but has been in bed since the onset of this illness. His only medication has been Advil for the pain. Please advise him on what he should do. Thank you in advance, his Mother.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does he have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

No, he is basically a very healthy pesrson

Customer:

I answered the question, but didn't get a response from you.My son is basically a very healthy person and is not on medication.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. sorry about that

Dr. Rick :

My nurse needed me to check on the last patient for a moment.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that his pain if from his appendix, although that would not account for the joint pain.

Dr. Rick :

As you know, there has been a very nasty version of the flu going around and that may very well be what is going on with your son.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, as a parent of 5 adult children myself I can fully understand your concern.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I think it would be a good idea to get him into see a doctor today. That way any issues such as appendicitis can be ruled out and, if nothing else, some medication can be prescribed to help him feel better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me this morning?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

yes. He had a back injury from playing basketball as a youth, he said that sometimes when he moves a certain way it causes a shortness in breathing, but he never considered it to be anything serious.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I do not think the basketball injury as a youth is at play at this point, however, if the breathing problem is new then that does need to be evaluated today. If the positional breathing problem has been there for years and is unchanged I would not consider it an issue at this point.

Customer:

yes. I mentioned a lower back injury as a youth playing basketball, which sometimes shortens his breath when he moves a certain way. could this be part of his joint soreness that he had during this bout with the flu?

Dr. Rick :

No. I wouldn't think so.

Dr. Rick :

does this answer your question?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.