eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

What is the treatment of eye herpes virus

Customer Question

what is the treatment of eye herpes virus
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 4 years ago.
eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I see you are offline at the moment,so I will do my best to answer your question.

Customer:

am online and waiting your answer

eyesight2020 :

The herpes virus can cause infection of the eye lids,conjunctivitis and corneal infection that can lead to scarring of the cornea. There are no over the counter treatments for herpetic infections of the eye. The best thing to do is to have your eye doctor,optometrist or opthalmologist evaluate your eyes so that he can prescribe an antiviral to treat yor eyes .

eyesight2020 :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

i went to many doctocrs and they evaluate my case and keep having the smae medicine is there any new pills that i van take as the desease keep attacking every two months which is becoimg very painful and as you know am a father and i need to work and keep having days off as i have to stay away form lights

eyesight2020 :

Yes, there are but it is still by prescription and you could mention it to your doctor and he would then determine if this is the apprpriate treatment for you

eyesight2020 :

Sometimes oral acyclovir is prescribed.

Customer:

Can you pls mention some of these medicines as i tired so many doctors and they all keep giving me same eye drops and am about to lose vison in my left eye the cornea is damaged or if you recomend certain doctors who are specialist in cornea so that i can reach

eyesight2020 :

They would be oral acyclovir,valacyclovir,famciclovir to mention a few

eyesight2020 :

Although, as I have mentioned it would be upto your doctor if the oral treatment would be the best route of treatment for you

eyesight2020 :

Valacyclovir ,used as a prophylactic treatment is as effective as Acyclovir in preventing recurring cases of herpes infection.

eyesight2020 :

You doctor may choose to put you on a long term maintenace dose to help prevent the recurrence of the infection that you are experiencing

eyesight2020 :

So ,the best thing is to follow up with your doctor, discuss your concerns, and perhaps he if he feels it is appropriate for you may put you on this type of treatment regiment.

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions

Customer:

does this deseas cause blindness in teh long run and what if managed to get a cornea transplant , will the virus attackes teh new .

eyesight2020 :

Corneal grafts are usually performed in eyes in which the inflammation is controlled.

eyesight2020 :

Prophylactic oral antivirals are usually prescribed when corneal transplants are done so it decreases the risk of an recurrence of infection to occur.

eyesight2020 :

Has this answered all your concerns

eyesight2020 :

So, although this session is mostly for information, the best thing would be to discuss your concerns with your eye doctor since your doctor.

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions.

eyesight2020 :

If this session has answered your questions, please rate this session before you leave the website.If not just leave a note in the box below

Customer:

Thanks for your feedback

eyesight2020 :

Good Luck to you Have a good day!

I had not seen, your question as to if I could refer you to a cornea specialist

Since, you are in Jordan,perhaps your primary care doctor could refer you to acornea specialist.

Also, since you are in Jordan you may want to try contacting the Jordan University Hospital since they would be better at refering you to an opthalmologist to provide the care you would need.

.Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I did a little research. You can also go to the link below and will give you a list of ophthalmologist in Jordan. RACT_CAT=Opthalmology&Con=middle_east&country=jordan&city=amman&provtype=practitioners. One name I came up with is Samer Abdulhadi 3rd Circle Alkhalidid Hospital Street AMMAN,JORDAN***********However, as I said you can choose from the list of doctors that the website offers that may better meet your needs.

Hello,,
Just doing a followup to see if you were able to locate an ophthalmologist through the link I provided to you or through Jordan University Hospital.
Dr. Lucy