Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am a 48 year old very healthy male. My eye sty has gone

Customer Question

I am a 48 year old very healthy male. My eye sty has gone awry! I've been treating this darn thing since I got it, three weeks ago, with the hot compresses and ofloxacin eye drops (spreading prevention) from the Doc. It got downsized after one week but for last two weeks it is the same and hasn't gone down anymore. How long do I wait before going back to Doc and try something different?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once it becomes a chronic condition, it takes really long to subside naturally( 6 weeks to months). However it is worth waiting for it to reduce gradually if it is small in size ( less than 5 mm ). But for swelling bigger than this it is better to wait for another couple of weeks ( with warm compresses only, for 10 minutes ,thrice a day) following which a minor surgery can be done ( incision and currettage is done under local anaesthesia and is not painful, with very good results).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is nothing more that can be done at home other than warm compresses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My other concern is that I've recently started dating a great gal and really want this annoying eye situation resolved.

Thank you for the reply.

If you really want the swelling down at the earliest then it is best to undergo the minor surgery called as incision and curettage.After 2-3 days of the procedure the eyelid swelling would have completely disappeared.

Happy dating !!

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi ,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai