Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My son is 19 years old, high myopic (-21), several tears/bleeds

My son is 19 years old, high myopic (-21), several tears/bleeds in past years, 360 laser done 4 years ago. He was seen today and another tear was discovered. What is the likelyhood he will eventually lose all vision. His doctor is very prone to think positive (good thing!), but what are his chances of retaining his vision?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Development of new peripheral retinal tears shows that his eyeballs are still growing thus increasing the axial length of the eye ( the increasing axial length causes the retina to stretch and induces tears).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

His doctor has taken appropriate measures in doing a 360 laser. However with increasing length the new has developed but can be given focal laser ( being in the periphery).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

new tear.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As for the visual prognosis is concerned, with the prophylactic measures taken, it should be good. Regular follow up will help to detect any new developments in the form of tears or holes( these are silent and asymptomatic and are detected on routine eye exam).

Customer:

This runs in the males on my maternal side of the family. The 19 yo just is a bit more extreme than the others. I pretty much understand the why and how and the treatments...I just would like to know if it is likely he will lose his vision in the near future. I know you don't have a crystal ball, but there are times I would really like to know what his future may hold.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Vision gets affected in case of a sudden retinal detachment ( if a retinal tear is not sealed with laser then it precedes a RD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The other way in which the central vision can get affected is in those myopes who have pathological myopia ( apart from the periperal tears they tend to have myopic chorioretinopathy). This occurs much later in life say in the fifth or sixth decade when the central part of the retina developes myopic changes. However this would depend if there is pathological myopia. Mere increase in myopia is not sufficient to call it pathological ( it is based on the retinal findinds rather than the myopic power).

Customer:

Thank you for your help...I do feel better that we are pretty much doing all we can.