Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About 2 months ago i noticed what appeard to be small knat

Customer Question
flying in and landing on...
about 2 months ago i noticed what appeard to be small knat flying in and landing on my eyelash(left eye). it has got much worse and i have something in my left eye about 50% of the time. my family doctor wont get involved , then i visited an eye doc twice. all she found was a small amount of something similar to dandriff(not spelled correct)and had me to use a cleaner on my eye lash, which doesn't appear to help. i also feel something in my nose .i can blow through my nose and feel something out my nose, but no one has seen anything. at this moment i can see something on my eyelash or eyebrow. i'm in bad need of help, jinm
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
1/5/2013
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. So this is something you see on your eyelash when you look at your eye in the mirror or is it in your vision itself?
Customer:

no, i guess it ai a shaddow whan i look up into my eyelash

Doctor DanB : Did your eye doctor dilate your eyes and look at your retina?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Does this spot tend to float around as you look from side to side?
Customer:

but i have used a small vaccum and removed some of them or at least they went away for a time

Customer:

no this is not floaters, which i do have, i dont think floaters get in your eye and have to wash it out,

Customer:

this is not floaters,

Doctor DanB : If these aren't behaving like floaters, then this is likely representing blepharitis, which is an inflammation of the eyelids. Let me give you some details about how to treat this on a daily basis....
Doctor DanB : In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them. Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. 
Customer:

i also feel something in my ears and nose moveing at times

Doctor DanB : That sensation may also be related to a similar process in which the mucus membranes of the ears and nose are dry and inflammed (as is happening to the eye).
Customer:

i have been doing this for about 3 wks

Doctor DanB : Doing what precisely?
Customer:

this is an insect of some kind ,i can watch it over the top of my glasses and it runs all over my eyelash and /or eye brow

Doctor DanB : Was the eye doctor you saw an ophthalmologist or optometrist?
Customer:

i am not sure, but i can check

Doctor DanB : Was this in a private clinic or a glasses mart?
Customer:

this was a eye clinic

Customer:

she is an od

Doctor DanB : If this really is an organism on your eyelashes then, unfortunately, an exam is critical to determine exactly what the organism is so the proper antimicronbial treatment can be instituted. I would recommend getting a second opinion from an ophthalmologist at an academic medical institution. An OD is an optometrist and you should be seen by an ophthalmologist (an MD).
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I see that your expert has opted out. I have reviewed Dr. DanB's advice and I agree with what he has told you.
That being said, I am happy to assist you if you have any further questions or concerns.
I look forward to your reply.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD