Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

In 2005 I had a retinal detachment in my left eye and was

Hi. In 2005 I had...
Hi. In 2005 I had a retinal detachment in my left eye and was treated for it. Now I am just curious if i would still be a candidate for corrective laser surgery? I am severely nearsighted (about -7) in that eye. the other one is a little better. Also would contacts be an option? thnx Ben
1/4/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : While if you looked hard enough you might find some LASIK surgeon who would do the procedure on you, most ophthalmologists, including me, would agree that given your history of a retinal detachment and moderately high nearsightedness, you are not a very safe candidate for LASIK.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

ya im available

Customer:

ok what about contacts

Customer:

what are the chances of this retinal detachment happening again? My doctor said he wasnt sure why this happened he thot maybe cause of my nearsightness..

Doctor DanB : Yes, contacts should be okay.
Doctor DanB : I can't really give you a percent chance of it happening again if you had LASIK, but I would say the odds are significant, at least.
Customer:

ok so if i dont get the surgery my chances of having another one go way down is that correct

Doctor DanB : They are a good bit less if you don't have the surgery, yes.
Customer:

so because im nearsighed there is a risk that it might happen again?

Customer:

ok thanks for your time

Customer:

and advice

Doctor DanB : Im sorry. I had to leave. Yes, because you're nearsighted you're at risk for it happening again.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.