Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I currently have the flu, with a cold, sore throat, cough,

I currently have the flu, with a cold, sore throat, cough, but what bothers me is a bacterial conjunctivitis with running pus and particularly a strong irritation of my eye-lids and of the skin around my eyes which are red and have a strong itch. I was given Polysporin drops at Shopper's that have reduced the pus but not the irritation.
Must I see an ophtalmologist? How, and where?
(we are not residents in Canada and are not on OHIP)
Thanks, Alexandra
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : I think as long as the discharge is improving with the Polysporin drops, I do not think you need to rush to see ophthalmologist yet. I would recommend using cool compresses on the eyes to help with your irritation, as well as using artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day in addition to the Polysporin drops. However, if the discharge begins to worsen again despite this then you should get into see your ophthalmologists as soon as you can. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!