Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have chronic itching and tearing in my right eye. always

Customer Question
only the right eye. my...
I have chronic itching and tearing in my right eye. always only the right eye. my eye is not red. the itching comes and goes during the day.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
1/2/2013
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Does it itch in the corners primarily or more along the eyelid margin? Does it ever itch so bad you want to claw your eye out?
Customer:

It itches primarily in the corner. only in the right eye. sometimes the itching is pretty bad. i had recurring reddness in the right eye a few years back and finally i diagnosed it myself as scleritis. after that i visited an opthalmologist and he agreed and then prescribed Efemoline. after using this, the reddness was gone after a day or two. this then reoccurred about 3 times with 2 to 3 months interval but it seems the broblem is gone now. I do suffer from IBS which is an outoimmune type of problem. I do not know if all of this is related.

Doctor DanB :

Have you tried any oral antihistamines for this?

I'm sorry we seemed to have had some issues with the chat session.

This does sound consistent with allergic conjunctivitis. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; an OTC drop to use that works fairly well is called Ketotifen. If you try this and it helps but is not quite enough, or if you would rather start out with the most effective, comfortable drop, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday (olopatadine) which works very well. If this still isn't enough then it may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin (loratidine) or Zyrtec (cetirizine) (in addition to the drops) which you can buy over-the-counter. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

It appears as though you are not on-line currently. I am happy to be able
to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you
have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or
clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be
happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If
your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future
customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any
positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be
welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or
you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven't said, please
don't issue a negative feedback rating-My goal is your satisfaction and I would
rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have
you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.