Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My father is nearly 93 years old and is in good health

considering his age.He always squints...
My father is nearly 93 years old and is in good health considering his age.He always squints with one eye in order to see better.
A few years ago, he was advised that a cataract operation can improve his vision but it is discretionary.
As he is not getting younger, is it a good idea to have it done sooner rather than later? If so, should it be done with topical, local or general anaesthetic?
Is there an alternative to surgery in treating his cataract?
Your advice will be much appreciated
Sidney
1/2/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Other than wanting to have it done while he is still in good health and not dealing with major or chronic medical problems, there is no advantage to getting it done now versus later, except that he will have more time to enjoy the good vision after cataract surgery. Most are done with topical anesthetic alone and the patients do the best with this type of anesthesia. There is no alternative to cataract surgery, unfortunately. Any drops, pills, or treatments that tout otherwise are absolutely false.

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

What about the tablets,called EyeMax plus recommended by an ophthamologist Dr. Gary Price Todd in America? They are supposed to prevent and improve cataracts.
Are the eye drops called Bright Eyes which are reported to dissolve cataracts worth trying before resorting to surgery?

Customer:

Dear Dr. Danb,

Customer:

Dear Dr. Danb, What about the tablets,called EyeMax plus recommended by an ophthamologist Dr. Gary Price Todd in America? They are supposed to prevent and improve cataracts.

Customer:

The video & written testimonials on the cataract dissolving eye drops "Bright Eyes" are very convincing.My father 's now having second thoughts on the surgery.

Doctor DanB : I can tell unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt, that neither of those treatments will either prevent or improve cataracts, no matter how good they sound.
Customer:

Thank you for your prompt reply,Dr.DanB, The ophthamologist recommends GA rather than LA in case my father cannot keep still during the operation.Is there any merit in this as nearly everyone I know of had the cataract removed under LA?

Customer:

Is there any significant advantage of using the laser to do the cutting as compared to the surgeon doing it manually The hospital that my father attends does not have the laser equipment. He does not mind going to another hospital if the laser incision is more precise and give a better outcome.

Doctor DanB : The only reason to have GA is if he has significant dementia or had a movement disorder or tremor that has manifested itself when he is in the microscope at the ophthalmologist's office. If that has been shown, GA would be a good idea. Otherwise, topical is usually fine. As far as the laser goes, there is no significant data to show the laser is safer-/I would feel quite fine not having the laser used.
Customer:

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I am satisfied with your service.

Customer:

So do you think it is fine for my father to have LA as he is alert, has no movement disorder or dementia but is otherwise nervous about the procedure Do patients need to keep 100% still for the procedure?

Dr. Dan B.
Customer:

In my experience, it sounds like your father should be fine to have local (or topical) anesthesia. He needs to be able to hold fairly still, but there are moments where he can re-adjust position if need be.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.