Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm 25 years old. As a child of 12 years I have had optic

neuritis in the right eye...
I'm 25 years old. As a child of 12 years I have had optic neuritis in the right eye. MRI was normal. My vision is normal and I have no problems. On ophthalmic examination, I was slightly peripapilarno thinning in the temporal quadrant of the right eye / I worked OCT / Thickness OHT my right eye is 101.78 microns.
I wonder if this means that the optic nerve in the retrobulbar part thinner than normal?
thanks
Anna
12/22/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

OCT does not measure anything beyond the sclera (the wall of your eye). As such the thickness measurements you have do not give any data on what the retrobulbar part of your optic nerve is like.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, since you vision is normal and you are having no problems I would bet that the retrobulbar part of your optic nerve is just fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : OCT does not measure anything beyond the sclera (the wall of your eye). As such the thickness measurements you have do not give any data on what the retrobulbar part of your optic nerve is like.
Dr. Rick : That being said, since you vision is normal and you are having no problems I would bet that the retrobulbar part of your optic nerve is just fine.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thanks for the reply, l asked the question because I read after optic neuritis rnfl leads thinning of the eye, and the optic nerve in retrobulbar portion of the eye. Thanks
It is not a given that the thickness of the retrobulbar portion of the optic nerve will be thinned after an episode of ON. Also, since your vision is normal in all respects I, once again, think it is of normal size and thickness. The same can be said of your RNFL, although this would be easier to measure.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
What does this thinning in temporal quadrant, which is found in OCT? Thanks
Many things can cause thinning on the temporal quadrant of the NFL on OCT and these data would have to be correlated with clinical findings on exam. That being said, it is not unusual to have some thinning of the retina on the temporal side of the optic nerve and, in many cases these data are of no clinical significance.
I would not read too much into these numbers......
Have a wonderful holiday season :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD