How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The skin around my eyes are red, feels itchy (including the

Customer Question

The skin around my eyes are red, feels itchy (including the eyelids) and inflamed. I want to know what this is and how to cure it? thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. What kind of eye drops did you use and for how long? How long and his frequent on the cortisone cream?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

Hello. I was prescribed two types of eye drops. Naphazoline Hydrochloride Ophthalmic solution 0.1% and Pataday olopatadine hydrocholride opthalmic solution 0.2%. I have been using it for about a month now.

Doctor DanB : Have the eyes themselves been itchy?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

the eyes themselves have been itchy and also a feeling of being pulled on that hurts sometimes

Doctor DanB : Has either drop been effective at stopping the itching of the eyes themselves?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

very minimal effect

Doctor DanB : Do you take any oral antihistamine such as Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

no i do not

JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

this actually all started with a cut on the skin of the corner of my eye

Doctor DanB : The problem with the skin is called allergic dermatitis. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. But I also think you should be using 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. Does that make sense?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

well i have been advised by my primary doctor to apply hydrocortizone cream, which i did, and the situation actually worse. the redness actually went from just one eye to both eyes.

Doctor DanB : Yes, when the cream form is used instead of the ointment, it can run into the eyes and cause them to be irritated and red. That's why I recommend using the ointment form (it doesn't run). But also the oral antihistamine is necessary to control the overall allergic response in the body.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
JACUSTOMER-ic6db7a3- :

i'm good. thank you

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Doctor DanB : I see you are still in the chat room. Was there any other question about this I could help you with?