Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About a week ago I started getting pain in both my temples

and sometimes my ears get...
About a week ago I started getting pain in both my temples and sometimes my ears get blocked. I also have pain behind my eyes and a headache mostly in the front of my head. I dont usually have it when I wake up but during the day it gets worse. I have taken advil and sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesnt.
12/11/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you brush your hair or push on your temples, does it hurt?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

but after i push them it hurts

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed your jaw getting tired when you chew? Have you lost weight lately without trying? Have you had unexplained aches and pains?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

my jaw hurts sometimes. Havent lost weight - had some back problems and went to get adjusted and it seemed to start happening after I went

Customer:

jaw aches

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, from what you have posted it is important that you see a MD and have a condition called Giant Cell Arteritis ruled out. You may not have this condition, but if you do -- and it goes untreated -- bad things can happen.

Dr. Rick :

Testing for this condition consists of a good history, physical exam and a simple blood test.

Customer:

what is giant cell artheritis

Dr. Rick :

There may be other causes of your symptoms but I would feel better if this one could be ruled out for sure. Sometimes, a biopsy of an artery is needed...but not always.

Dr. Rick :

It is an inflammatory disease of blood vessels, especially one in the head and neck.

Dr. Rick :

A blood test, called a Sed Rate and a C-Reactive protein, along with other finding can easily tell you if you suffer from this potentially blinding disease that can also cause strokes and other problems with blood vessels.

Customer:

how quickly can the disease progress seeing as it has only happened starting last week. I have always had back problems

Customer:

How fast can this disease progress

Dr. Rick :

If you have this disease -- and I am not saying that you do -- in my practice I consider it an emergency to start therapy the moment I suspect a patient has it.

Dr. Rick :

It can progress very, very quickly.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

is there a usual age when this can happen

Customer:

one more question

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is more common in patients over the age of 50.....and, you are right, I don't know how old you are :)

Customer:

49 and one last question (i think) does it usually go away when you take asprin

Dr. Rick :

If you want to come to the Midwest, where we have over 6 inches of snow, I will keep your spot warm in the British Virgin Islands for you lol!

Dr. Rick :

no. Aspirin does not make this go away although it might help a little bit with the discomfort and pain.

Customer:

thats another thing - our medical system here is not of the highest standard thats why i am trying to get as much information as possible

Dr. Rick :

I understand. Here is a good webpage on GCA:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/giant-cell-arteritis/DS00440

Dr. Rick :

This may not be what you have, but from what you have told me I would sleep better tonight knowing you have at the very least had a Westegren ESR adn C-Reactive protein blood test......

Customer:

thank you - i am hopeful that it is not that as i only seem to have only 2 of the symptoms so far

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure that those are available in the BVI

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

you too and thanks again

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
After getting more snow today my thoughts turned to you down there in the BVI and I wondered how you were doing. Did you have a chance to see a MD and, if so, what did she find?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD