Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Already Tried: I have swollen bag under the right eye. I

Already Tried: I have swollen bag...
Already Tried:
I have swollen bag under the right eye. I also feel pain above right eye soccet close to nose when I move eye. I visited family doctor and got antibiotics for sinus infection but it is not helping, I visited my dentist - all is normal and tomorrow I have appoitment with eye doctor and I am very, very nervous. I have photos if you need to see. I dont feel any vision problem so far. Can you help me? Vesna
12/10/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi Vensna,

Dr. Rick :

I would be happy to review your pictures for you. Just use the paperclip on your screen

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Please let me know if you need better pictures or these ones are OK?

Dr. Rick :

Those ones are OK.

Dr. Rick :

Does it come and go or is the swelling always about the same?

Customer:

Can it be possible that I have swollen optic nerve, brain tumor????

Customer:

always the same

Customer:

no changes

Dr. Rick :

The changes under you eyes have nothing what so ever to do with a possible brain tumor or swelling of the optic nerve. Also, swelling of the optic nerve often causes changes in vision, which you stated you are not having.

Customer:

What kind of vision chnages?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Since it is always the same, and you have already done an excellent job of consulting with a regular doctor and DDS to rule out some of the other common causes of swelling in this area I believe I know what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

Loss of vision, loss of visual field, loss of color perception....etc.

Customer:

no I dont have it

Dr. Rick :

So, in that case there is no need to worry about optic nerve issues. In any event, when you see the ophthalmologist tomorrow she will examine your optic nerve closely as part of her complete evaluatino.

Dr. Rick :

evaluation.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, as to your question: What is causing these bags under your right eye....

Customer:

what is the problem?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

The most common cause of dark circles under the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward.

As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

but why do I have pain when I move eye?

Dr. Rick :

There are many causes of pain with eye movement. It can be from sinus issues, dental issue, orbit issues or just for no reason at all. You have already had a DDS and a regular MD rule out the first two and, tomorrow, a complete eye exam will see if anything else is going on.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? Brain tumors don't hurt, so no need to worry there.....

Dr. Rick :

And, based on what you have posted, I doubt that you have optic neuritis...but if you do, you will know about it when you leave the ophthalmologists office tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

I think you are doing everything correct to get to the bottom of your issue.

Customer:

thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi Vesna,
I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the Ophthalmologist found when you saw her on Tuesday. Did she find a reason why you were having pain? I hope everything is OK and you are feeling better.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD