Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My 7 week old woke up with redness and swelling involving

My 7 week old woke up with redness and swelling involving lower eyelid. No fever. Swelling is mild, and not does appear to affect eye movements.
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Good morning. Congratulations on your new baby. I'm sorry the child has redness and swelling of the lower eyelid. The child should be examined by the pediatrician as soon as practical. Infections, allergies or a blocked tear duct are a couple of the potential causes. Allergies and tear duct problems do not constitute emergencies, but if your child is developing a lid infection antibiotics are indicated to prevent the occurrence of a more serious condition called orbital cellulitis.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

We consider this an urgent need for evaluation, not an emergency, so you should call your pediatrician's office this morning as soon as they are open and let them know your child's condition.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

It appears that you are off-line, so I will switch over to the Q and A format. Please remember that conversation is not over until you are completely satisfied that you received the information requested. So will pick up our chat when you come back online you have any additional questions

Dr. Tom-Eye :

If you're satisfied that you have received what you need from this inquiry, please rate our response before you check out.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Thank you, ***** *****