Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've had a recent flue shot andpainted a room yesterday.

This morning I woke up...
I've had a recent flue shot andpainted a room yesterday. This morning I woke up with fever, dizzyness (world spinning) eye movement that continuesafter I sstop. Both are worse with any pronounced movement of the head.. general weakness, sweating and nausea. J can keep fluids down, have not tried food. This is similar to the flu vaccine reactions I had as a kid but I've been told it doesn't happen any more so...? Suggestions appreciated.
12/9/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

while it is true that adverse reactions to the flu vaccine is not as common as it used to be in the past, it still happens.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have a fever?

Dr. Rick :

Also, what kind of paint (water vs oil based) were you using yesterday?

Customer:

Yes - well I think so, my thermometer is low battery but did come up with 99.8 before dying completely and I feel feverish. feel hot, skin cool, keeping fan on to move air for the little bit of cooling effect. Also sweating when walking.

Customer:

The paint is supposed to be Low VOC and is water based.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Then I very much doubt the paint was an issue. How long ago did you have the flu shot?

Customer:

Friday afternoon

Dr. Rick :

Yup. I strongly believe you are experiencing a reaction to your flu shot......

Dr. Rick :

The next question is: Do you need to go to the ER?

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, I think as long as you can keep down fluids, and maybe some food like soup etc, you are safe to treat this as if you had the flu.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes, I'm sorry to say, people can get flu like symptoms after getting the shot. The good news? It is usually much less severe then actually getting the "real"flu

Customer:

Can you give me any idea of time I will be down? Since my last vaccine was in 6th grade I don't remember.

Dr. Rick :

Given how you are feeling today I would say that you are going to a bit under the weather for at least 3 or 4 days. Unlike catching the "real flu" you most likely will not be contagious so, as long as you feel well enough, you should be able to go to work tomorrow.....Of course if you are a Mixed Martial Arts fighter I'd suggest you take some time off work lol!

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes you just haveto try and smile when stuff like this happens :)

Dr. Rick :

Since there is not much else to be done....

Customer:

You can believe I will be harrassing my bosses... they talked me into this. <G> Thanks for your help. think I will make some chicken noodle soup and go back to bed.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like an excellent plan. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD