Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

For the last three weeks my vision is very bright. Reading

is almost impossible and faces...
For the last three weeks my vision is very bright. Reading is almost impossible and faces on TV are blurry and bright to the point I cannot see features. I have had a vision test and all is good. What is going on?
Thanks.
***** *****
12/8/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

When you had your vision test, were you examined by an ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

Are both eyes affected the same?

Dr. Rick :

Does this occur all the time and in all light conditions etc?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Both eyes are affected and all environments. My vision test was by an optometrist
***** *****
Hi Janet,
Well, the first thing you should do is have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. An optometrist does not have enough training to adequately work up a complaint such as yours.
Due to the unique nature of your complaint it may be helpful for you to seek help at a Ophthalmology Teaching Program at a large university hospital.
At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.
Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
I live in Raleigh, NC. I am close to UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State Univ. are any of these suitable for what you mentioned?
***** *****
UNC-Chapel Hill:
http://www.med.unc.edu/ophth
Or Duke Eye Center:
http://dukeeyecenter.duke.edu/modules/eyectr_clinical/index.php?id=1
Will give you the depth and quality of eye workup and care I am recommending.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.
Have a great weekend :-)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi Janet,
I was just finishing up a particularly difficult retinal detachment repair and the bright spots I was seeing in front of my eyes reminded me of the problems you are having.
Did you manage to get in for an evaluation at one of the University programs we discussed? If so, what did the Professors find?
I hope the doctors-in-training didn't "torture" you too much :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD