Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I often wash my eyeglasses with hand soap, but I'm

I often wash my eyeglasses with hand soap, but I'm wondering, if I somehow didn't rinse all of the soap off fully, would that cause soap vapor to waft up from the eyeglasses and irritate my eyes? Same thing goes for germs; I wonder if germs from eyeglasses can go airborne and into one's eyes.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question.

Dr. Rick :

Fortunately, there is no significant risk of germs on your eyeglasses moving into your eyes. This is especially true in a normal, healthy eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

Concerning vapors from soap wafting up and irritating your eyes, I guess it would be possible for your eyes to be irritated by the soap if you were highly allergic to that particular soap. If this were true, however, I would expect you to have a significant allergic reaction the soap everywhere it touches your body.

Customer:

OK

Dr. Rick :

Also, soap has a very low vapor point so I do not think there is much in the way of "fumes" that come off of it.......

Dr. Rick :

So, to answer your question directly, I very much doubt that these two issues would be the source of any eye irritation you might be experiencing.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this morning?

Customer:

THank you!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does natural-based dish detergent also have a low vapor point too? (as far as vapors and stuff getting into the eyes?) What if a small amount of natural dish detergent or laundry detergent is in your hair.

The vapor point of dish detergent and laundry detergent is low enough so that vapors will not get into your eyes from any residue that may be on your glasses or in your hair.
I do, however, agree with your decision to use natural-based agents.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick