Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Someone did laundry today, unfortunately, they put the

Someone did laundry today, unfortunately, they put the clean, washed clothing right back into the bags that had been used to hold the clothing when it was dirty and unwashed. In theory, this means that there could be all sorts of unsavory germs (from used underwear, for instance,) that would be on the clothing.
Would such germs cause an eye infection/any other illness, or is it really not such a big deal to have one's clean clothing put in the same bag/hamper that had been used to hold dirty clothing? I'm trying to figure whether I should have it all rewashed or not.
An eye infection is the main concern.
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hello again, I certainly understand your concern and agree that it would be completely reasonable and probably quite prudent to rewash the laundry. Was the laundry a mixture of several peoples dirty clothing?

Customer:

It was only mine. But it was clothing that had come in contact with various dirty surfaces - shoes, the bathroom floor, germs from the apartment stairwell, etc.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Well that's fortunate that there were no other individuals clothing involved. At least we don't have to worry about someone else possibly having an un-suspected infection. Probably the most likely cause of an eye infection would be exposure to the virus. Viruses can be quite contagious and could easily be picked up from the bathroom or other surfaces. I wouldn't take a chance. It would be best to go ahead and rewash everything. Do you have any other questions or thoughts about this that I can help with?

Customer:

I think you've answered them all

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Great, so think of me anytime you come up with questions about your eyes and I'll be delighted to help you. Best wishes