Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had lung cancer 9 years ago and had a lobectomy. I was

diagnosed with Angina about 8...
i had lung cancer 9 years ago and had a lobectomy. I was diagnosed with Angina about 8 months ago, and now i have been experiencing a stabbing pain (very uncomfortable) in the outer edge of my right eye ball, i have just had an eye test and the optician says to go see my Gp i am also getting pins and needles in the left side of my tongue. what could this be?
12/5/2012
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

i can't see any answer to my question

Dr. Tom-Eye : It appears that my reply was cut off. I have some thoughts for you, but I will be with patients for about an hour more. Would you be ok waiting for me to get back to you a little later? Thanks
Customer:

yes that would be fine thank you

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hello again. Thank you for giving me a few minutes to take care of clinic patients. Let me know when you're back online.

Customer:

i am here

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay, I'm going to type out some thoughts here, so let me just get that down on paper for you to review and then we will begin a conversation.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

First, it's wonderful that you have a nine year cancer free history following your lung cancer surgery. There really is not much reason to think there is any connection between your lung cancer and your present symptoms. Also the presence of pain in the outer edge of your right eyeball and the tingling feeling you have on the left side of your time probably are not related to your recent onset of angina. However those past histories do have to be kept in mind when considering the differential diagnosis. Eye pain, or pain around the eye, can often be referred pain from other areas, just as chest pain and arm pain associated with angina are referred pain originating in the heart. Similarly, eyepain and orbital pain, can be referred from the sinuses, from TMJ syndrome, from the cervical area of the neck and a couple of other sources. Does this make sense so far?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

You mentioned that you had had an optician doing a test. Were you examined by an ophthalmologist who did a complete exam of your eyes or was it just a checkup of your vision?

Customer:

yes i am with you on that

Customer:

yes i am with you on that i don't know what TMJ syndrome is though

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please tell me the type of eye examination you had.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

TMJ is a dental problem where there is inflammation between the temporal bone and the jaw.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Let's focus on the type of pain you're having in your right eye.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Does your eye hurt when you move your eyeball from right to left or up and down

Dr. Tom-Eye :

How long has you been experiencing the pain, is it constant and have you done anything that gives you relief?

Customer:

i had an eye test i needed stronger reading glasses. he was an optician

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Unfortunately I do not know the extent to which an optician is qualified to render medical eye examinations. But were you my personal patient I would insist that you have a comprehensive ophthalmological evaluation by a physician trained in eye diseases. It's always important to ensure that there are no obvious ocular diseases that could cause you the pain you're describing. Do you live near a large city where there might be an academic eye department?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

While you're thinking about the questions I asked you, there are couple of things that you might consider doing to give your eye some relief. If you haven't already tried the application of warm moist heat and the use of over-the-counter lubricating artificial tears these can relieve symptoms caused by superficial irritations. You might want to consider doing that. Your problems might very well be self-limiting, but why take any chances.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

You seem to have stepped out of the chat, but I don't want to finish up until you're completely satisfied. Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Let's go ahead and switch over to the question and answer format and you can continue asking me questions.

Now that we're in a question-and-answer section just type in any additional questions you have.
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD

I have tried the over the counter remedies suggested by the optician. The pain comes out of the blue when i turn my eyes to the left. and yes i live in a city. should i ask my G.P for a referal?

it is perfectly reasonable for you to go to the highest level of training. Specifically ask that you be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, which is a physician trained in all aspects of eye diseases and eye surgery. You should also ask your GP about the oral issues on the left side. Are there any other questions I could help you with?
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD