Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had caract surgery pon my left eye Oct 24,12 ,when the

Customer Question
bandage was removed nxt day...
I had caract surgery pon my left eye Oct 24,12 ,when the bandage was removed nxt day the eye was infected and I could'nt see. The Dr sent me to a different dr ,who after checking it, put me in hosptial and did another surgery to clean up the infection. a culture was taken ,but they said it never deloped. I was kept in the Hosptial for 4 days ,they were putting anti body 2 kinds and two other eye drops an anti inflamtion and one that dialted my eye, they put these drops in my eye very hour on the hour around the hour from Thursday to Sunday. then let me go home ,doing less and less of the drops per day. How common is this problem ?? they reated the eye for staff infection. Is the Dr that did the Caract surgery responablie for the infection getting in the eye. ??
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
12/4/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 4 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

I want to know if the Dr who did my carart surgery can be resonsable for the infection and problems with my eye

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you had a very serious infection called endophthalmitis and that you were treated by a retina surgeon in the hospital. I am a retina surgeon and treat patients with infections like your all the time.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for nothing to grow on the culture but that does not mean that a bacteria was not present

Dr. Rick :

Did you cataract surgeon mention any complications occurring during your cataract surgery, such as a posterior capsule rupture etc?

Customer:

No The Dr that did my Caract ,told us everything went well and he would see m the next morning at his office

Dr. Rick :

To answer your question: This is a very uncommon occurrence during cataract surgery. A recent study showed that it happens in less then 4 out of every 1000 cases.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is good. Unfortunately, however, this bacteria got in your eye and started the infection,.

Customer:

So Is this just a sometime thing or was the Dr not carful enough with cleaness?

Dr. Rick :

Did the bacteria get in your eye during the surgery? Absolutely. Is it your surgeons faut? Yes. Because he is incharge. Was everything humanly possible done to make sure that this wouldn't happen? Yes. Without a doubt.

Dr. Rick :

I would say that is is just something that happens and it is not because your doctor or the team in the OR was sloppy with sterile procedure. It happens.....

Dr. Rick :

It has never happened to me in my two decades as a retina surgeon but that is just because of dumb luck....it can happen to the best surgeon int the world.

Dr. Rick :

It does sound, however, from what you have posted, that you have gotten excellent care for this serious issue.

Customer:

So if I see another eye Dr and I end up ith some damage to the vision in left eye I didn't have before. Should I sue the eye Dr or just be gratful they did what they could to get my vision back as much as possible??

Customer:

So what would you do if it was your eyes??

Dr. Rick :

I am sure that you can find a lawyer who will take your money and sue the doctor but, in my personal and professional opinion you should not put yourself through the pain and heartache of a legal battle.

Customer:

What is the chance that doing the other eye will also get infction in that eye?

Dr. Rick :

If it was my eye? I would cry, say why me, bitch to my wife and do everything I can to maximize the visual outcome of a bad situation. Bad things happen to everyone, even good people. No matter what a lawyer tells you, it is usually not anyones fault

Dr. Rick :

It is like rolling a dice....what the dice did last time has no effect on what the dice do next time. All you can do, perhaps, would be to do an extensive face scrub the days leading up to surgery, maybe use antibiotic eye drops before surgery.....but understanding that these "treatments" have not been proven to lower this very low incidence of the bad outcome you have experienced.

Customer:

would you have the same team of Doctors do the other eye?

Dr. Rick :

If you don't trust your doctor? No. If you do?

Dr. Rick :

You could ask the doctor how many cataracts he has removed and how many cases of endophthalmitis he has had. I can promise you that he will remember every one of them....

Customer:

would it be best to just wait as long as possible to have the other eye done it isn't as bad as the left one was??

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I would not rush into doing the other eye.

Dr. Rick :

What did the doctors tell you about your possible visual outcome in this eye?

Customer:

this is the only case the doctor had come out like this , the second dr said he had never sent anyone to him with this problem and yes they both tried to do what was needed as quickly as possible.they have not told me what the outcome may be yet , i think they are not sure at this time.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in the hands of a very good surgeon and ended up being that one in 4 possible cases of a serious infection out of every thousand (I think it is less then this actually).....

Dr. Rick :

That red top drop, if it is atropine 1% should be kept away from small children as it can be toxic to them.....just in case you weren't told that.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

it has been six weeks now and I am til using 2 of the eye drops for at least 2 more weeks, the eye feels brusied and extra presure like the lenes is very large,no theydidn't tell me about keeping the drop away from children, but it is just my husband and I ,Yes I think so ,I of course am worried about having the 2nd one done. thank you for the help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

I will come back to chat with you after my next appointment

Sounds like a good plan. I look forward to hearing from you.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD