Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Every time my left eye goes to water or tear up, the upper

inner corner starts to itch...
Every time my left eye goes to water or tear up, the upper inner corner starts to itch and then burn. Sometimes it will even spasm. I also noticed that the upper puncta appears to be either shut or non existent. This has been happening for about two weeks now and has not gotten better. At first my eye was dry so I removed my contacts. The eyes will water now, however the pain and spasming has remained. The left eye is also more sensitive to light now.
12/4/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

does your eye feel like something is in it?

Dr. Rick :

Has the vision in your left eye been affected?

Dr. Rick :

When you say it is sensitive to light, does looking at a light hurt?

Dr. Rick :

Also, is the eye red or irritated looking when you view it in a mirror?

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning. Welcome to chat :)

Customer:

Light will sometime affect it. So will the spasms. Looking at light causes discomfort and floaters.

Customer:

The eye is not super red today (it was a few days ago) but definitely more irritated looking than usual

Customer:

Sometimes it feels "sandy" in the inner corners but nothing is there.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for that extra information.

Dr. Rick :

My primary concern is that with the continued pain and light sensitivity you may have inflammation inside your eyeball itself (uveitis). This is much more serious then external problems such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Could these less serious conditions be responsible for your symptoms? Yes. But usually light sensitivity (photophobia) is not present with them.

Dr. Rick :

Since the consequences of delaying diagnosis and treatment of uveitis can be severe I would feel a lot better if you could be seen by an ophthalmologist today.

Customer:

Can an ophthalmologist measure the eye to see if it is inflammed?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Very easily. And an ophthalmologist would be able to treat any problem that would be present.....

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Are there usually other signs and symptoms to uveitis?

Dr. Rick :

Not that you would be able to see yourself and the symptoms you have described are suggestive of uveitis. But, with "chat" as my only diagnostic tool I am handicapped in my ability to come up with a firm diagnosis for you....I'm sure you understand :(

Customer:

Of course. I was just curious. Thank you very much. I shall make an appointment ASAP. I just wanted to know if there was anything serious I should look out for in the meantime.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me though I do feel that the best thing you can do is be seen by an eye MD for definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi Leah,
I just saw a patient with a severe case of posterior uveitis and my thoughts turned to you. What did the ophthalmologist find when she examined you? I hope everything is OK and you are feeling better. Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you so much for checking back in. I really appreciate it. The ophthalmologist thinks I contracted a particularly virulent form of conjunctivitis which caused swelling around my eye as well as the normal eye irritation. I am now on the mend, all the swelling is gone as is the pressure and pain. I can go back to work on Monday :)

Leah,
That is excellent news! I am glad that the inside of your eyeball was not affected as I had thought during our discussion and that you are already back to normal. :)
Have a wonderful holiday season and let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you in the future.
DrRick, MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD