Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have found black specks in my underpants and on my sheets.

It seems anywhere I go...
I have found black specks in my underpants and on my sheets. It seems anywhere I go I see black specks. One day I saw a little insect swirling in my bra; the other day I saw a little insect swirling (flying) around my bed. I feel something swirling around my forehead; something like specks are dropping in my eyes. I find scratches on my body; no open sores. Something is biting inside my big toes and at night I feel cramping. I have been trying all kinds of wash: borateem and antibacterial dish wash which I think burned my skin; I got blackened skin around my neck under breasts and on inside of upper thigh. These bugs favor my scalp and groin. I'm thinking it is morgellons but am not sure. I have had my apartment and car exterminated four times but it cannot kill whateverr this is. My dermatologist and primary physician think that I am imagining all of this. Please tell me how I can get a doctor to help me. I belong to an HMO so that is out. Thank you.
12/4/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

One possibility that can be causing these black specks you are seeing is called a posterior vitreous detachment. Here is some information on this issue:

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

While this does not explain all your symptoms (you are not having flashes of light for example) it could cause you to see black specks on your sheets and clothes and flying around your bed.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Good evenig.

Dr. Rick :

Evening...

Dr. Rick :

I see that you have been examined by a dermatologist and primary care MD, but have seen an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon?)

Customer:

I have seen blood in my underwear so I know something is biting me. I have new scratches daily on my body which tells me something is biting me. I also have seen a very tiny insect flying. When I had my car exterminated I found insects in my glove compartment and in my car. So I am having problems with an insect that is living off of my body. I thought that you were a physician that could help me to find help outside of my HMO. I don't think this is an eye problem. I am not imaginng these things that are happening to me.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It was just a thought since floaters frequently mimic bugs etc......

Dr. Rick :

How far can you travel for evaluation and treatment?

Customer:

These bugs are real. My dermatologist refused to provide a skin scaping until I could bring him a sample of the insect. They are so tiny that it is impossible. I have roll them on the sticky roller and put them in water but they seem to ball up and the doctor thinks it is just dirt. If you can't help please let me know. I spent $75 for nothing it seems.

Dr. Rick :

I

Dr. Rick :

I'm still here and we are working on finding you a place to go and what to do. You are not actually charged for my help until you give a positive rating. So far you have just left a refundable deposit.

Dr. Rick :

Do you want to continue or do you feel that you are just wasting your time talking to me?

Customer:

I live in Upper Marlboro Maryland so anywhere in the metropolitan area would be appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Can you travel out of State or do you need to stay in Maryland?

Customer:

Yes, I can travel out of state if it's real expert help for my problem.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. At this point I think the best thing to do would be to travel to a Large University Teaching Hospital.

Customer:

So how would I go about contacting such a facility?

Dr. Rick :

At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Dr. Rick :

I have been to the Mayo Clinic for strange and, until I saw a MD there, un diagnosable GI problem and got fantastic help.

Dr. Rick :

I bet they could help you too.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi Tina,
I was just thinking about you and wondering if you have managed to gather your medical records and make an appointment at a Large University Teaching hospital. I hope they can get to the root of your problem. Take care.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD