Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

After reading the small print in the newspaper I get slight

double vertical vision in one...
after reading the small print in the newspaper I get slight double vertical vision in one eye that goes away after about an hour. This has happened 4 days in a row. Before reading I have no vision problems.
12/2/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Pearl.com

When you say vertical double vision in one eye, does it mean that the double vision( called as diplopia) is observed only when one eye is open ( with other eye closed) or do you experience the diplopia with both eye open?

What is the power of your reading glasses?

I experience it with both eyes open, but especially I see the split image with my left eye closed. The double vision is only in my right eye. My reading glasses power is 2.75 in noline bifocals. I don't know the power of my long range correction.

Hello Ron,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Uniocular diplopia ( as in your case too, the split image is observed with the left eye closed) can occur in case of early cataract, astigmatism ( kind of refractive error which can be corrected with glasses). Other causes with uniocular diplopia are very unlikely in your case . I would suggest that you get your eyes examined by your ophthalmologist for a closer look ( to look for signs of early cataract or presence of uncorrected astigmatism). If either of these is seen appropriate correction can be given ( corrective glasses after a thorough refraction for astigmatism and surgery at a later stage in case of cataract).

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist