eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

I was in a meeting and all of a sudden I looked up and saw

I was in a meeting and all of a sudden I looked up and saw weird lights in my field of vision. Not floaters but like lightning. It is still there but with one eye, thin streak of either light or dark that flashes and then goes away. I see it in the far corner of my eye and it's either straight up and down or roundish like the shape of my eyeball. Mostly when I move my eyes. My father and brother had retinal detachments. could this be a symptom of that? I have also had a dull headache for about 5 days now in the front of my face around my sinuses and eyes. I'm 57. ANd healthy! I hope. I'm scared that there is something wrong with my brain. Please help. THank you.
eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I see you are offline.

Customer:

i' m here

eyesight2020 :

Have you noticed any floaters at all, any decrease in vision in that eye.?

Customer:

nope

Customer:

although i have always had floaters now and then in both eyes but nothing now that is significant.

eyesight2020 :

It is possible that this is an ocular migraine , which is a vasospasm of the ocular vascularture tbat caused the light you saw.

Customer:

now that i took an ativan cause i was panicky...i haven't seen the streaks in a few. I keep testing my field of vision with my hand moving back and back....

Customer:

hmmm...vasospasm is a spasm in the blood vessel?

Customer:

the headache is like inside my face...my roof of my mouth sometimes throbs from it...behind the eyes. etc. I have def. been STRESSED lately.

eyesight2020 :

Yes,however since you do have a history of floaters

eyesight2020 :

Since you do have a history of floaters I would definitely follow up with an your eye doctor or an opthalmologist so they can make sure it is not the floater tugging at the retina and causing you to see the flashes

Customer:

my opthomologist had to reattach a retina that was just starting to tug away a few years ago. I'm going to see him first thing in the morning and camp out until he sees me.

eyesight2020 :

It sounds like right now you are only seeing them now and then

Customer:

okay. i am just terrified it's a brain tumor. that' s just me. neurotic new yorker.

Customer:

yeah. the lightning stopped for a bit just now. this aft. was the first time that ever happened to me and ....oops...there was one.

eyesight2020 :

No the most important thing is to be evaluated by your retina doctor asap.

Customer:

okay. thank you. i so appreciate it.

Customer:

question...

Customer:

what would make it happen continuously and now it has subsided a bit?

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions feel free to contact me

eyesight2020 :

If this session has answered your questions don't forget to give a rating

eyesight2020 :

Thank you

Customer:

okay. can you just answer that last one? why it would subside?

eyesight2020 :

Sometimes extreme eye movement with a floater tugging at the retina can do that but sometimes an ocular migraine can also come and go

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Additionally if you start to see an increase in number of flashes or floaters ,distorted vision or curtain like effect make sure you are seen asap by your retina doctor.Perhaps you could even call the answering service so they could contact him this evening so they are aware of your situation and either your doctor or doctor on call may return your call.As mentioned it is important to make sure it is just the floater tugging at the retina and make sure it is not causing a tear in the retina.

.There are various factors that trigger an ocular migraine and stress is one of them.

You can go to the website http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine it talks a little more about ocular migraines as well as on the website all about vision it talks about flashes,floaters ,etc Take Care and good luck Dr. Lucy