Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

This morning while I was having breakfast, all of a sudden I

got a large dark shadow...
This morning while I was having breakfast, all of a sudden I got a large dark shadow appear in my upper right eye vision. I also suffer from migraine auras and have a prescription for Zolmitriptan to take whenever a migraine comes on. This morning I quickly took a pill and lay down for 5 minutes. It passed but I'm a little worried. What do you think this is?
11/27/2012
eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

Are you online and available to chat?

eyesight2020 :

It is not unusual to get a visual aura prior to the onset of a migraine headache

Customer:

Yes I am available to chat.

eyesight2020 :

Have you had this happen before and are you now feeling better?

Customer:

With my migraine auras, I usually get light flashes that wander over my vision. I have trouble seeing for about 20 minutes and have to take my Zol meds and it passes but leaves my left eye feeling tired. This has never happened to me and never in my right eye. I am feeling better but I worry what this means. I know a sign of stroke is vision impairment.

eyesight2020 :

Iy is not uncommon in people who suffer for migraines to experience seeing zigzag lines

eyesight2020 :

blind spots in their visual fields

Customer:

Yes I know that but what I experienced this morning was totally different.

Customer:

I also suffer from floaters in my eyes.

eyesight2020 :

or loss of half of the visual field on both eyes.

Customer:

Well that's kind of scary....to loss half my vision.

eyesight2020 :

If you are seeing a large spot that moves with your ryemovements it could be a new floater

Customer:

Do you suggest I see an opthamologist and get some eye testing done or do you think this is just related to my migraines?

Customer:

What I experienced this morning was much bigger than the floaters I get. It was like a large shadow over half my eye/vision.

eyesight2020 :

With migraines as long as the symptoms subside then you can attribute it to the migraine

eyesight2020 :

I beleieve in this case you should followup with an opthalmologist

Customer:

I'm seeing my gp on thursday ....

eyesight2020 :

if you continue to see the spot even after taking tbe migraine medication

eyesight2020 :

If you should experience flashes of light with a curtain like effect you would want to be seen as soon as possible

Customer:

What is a curtain like effect? Do you think something could be detached from my eye or eye disease? Or in your opinion is this all related to my migraines?

eyesight2020 :

If you are very nearsighted also in your case even after taking the medication it does not go away to make sure it is just a floater you would wsnt to be seen as soon as possible by an opthalmologist if possible even today

Customer:

It did go away. I'm just worried what it is and I'm always scared because I never know when I'm going to get it, i.e if i'm driving...

Customer:

And I am nearsighted.

eyesight2020 :

It could very well be just all related to the migraine but with a history of previous floaters,it is always best to have your eyes dilated to make sure it is just a floater and not an early sign of a retinal tear.

eyesight2020 :

Are you still on line

Customer:

Yes...

Customer:

Why do people suffer from migraines?

Customer:

They really affect my life negatively...thank goodness for my zol meds.

eyesight2020 :

Does any of this make sense. If the sypmtoms are gone ,it is related to the migraine if not then best thing is to follow up with the opthalmologist .

Customer:

The symptoms are gone but I think I'll just start with my GP and then see about following up with an opthalmologist.

eyesight2020 :

In migraines it is beleived to be due to a chemical imbalance and is of a genetic nature

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

Is there anything you can take for the chemical imbalance?

eyesight2020 :

In some people their is a chemical imbalance and it makes them more prone to tjis kind of headache as well as having a genetic component

Customer:

My grandma suffered from bad migraines all her life.

eyesight2020 :

Sorry, I am a slow typist

Customer:

That's okay...I think you've answered all my questions.

Customer:

Are you a doctor?

eyesight2020 :

Proper treatment with your doctor and being prescribed the medication as you are is what helps with these type of headaches.

eyesight2020 :

Good luck to you

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions ,contact me any time.

Customer:

Do I have to pay each time? Not sure how this works.

eyesight2020 :

If not already done , do not forget to rate this session

eyesight2020 :

Thank you

eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
eyesight2020
eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist